Aircraft selection modeling: a multi-step heuristic to enumerate airlift alternatives
- 105 Downloads
We consider the use of the new C-130J-30 aircraft for long distance (strategic) cargo movement. Currently, only large aircraft, the C-5 and the C-17, are identified as strategic airlift assets by the United States Air Force. Our mathematical model identifies all logical airframe combinations to perform a cargo movement given a set of constraints. Using previously developed routing algorithms and fuel metrics, we evaluated the combinations and calculated the potential savings had the most fuel efficient combination been selected. Analyzing 1 month of historic data for four long distance routes, our proposed model suggests that savings could have been more than one million dollars.
KeywordsAir mobility planning Aircraft selection modeling Analysis of alternatives
- Cook Jr, C. W. (1998). Integrating C-17 direct delivery airlift into traditional air force doctrine. (MS), Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base Ohio.Google Scholar
- Hahn, A. S. (2007). Staging airliner service. Paper presented at the 7th AIAA Aviation Technology. Hampton, VA: Integration and Operations Conference (ATIO).Google Scholar
- Maywald, J. D. (2016). Reducing airlift inefficiency through aircraft selection modeling. (MS), Air Force Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Reiman, A. D. (2014). Enterprise Analysis of Strategic Airlift to Obtain Competitive Advantage through Fuel Efficiency. Ph.D. Thesis, Air Force Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Toh, R. S., & Higgins, R. G. (1985). The impact of hub and spoke network centralization and route monopoly on domestic airline profitability. Transportation Journal, 24(4), 16–27.Google Scholar
- United States Air Force. (2014a). Annex 3–17 air mobility operations. Retrieved from www.doctrine.af.mil.
- United States Air Force. (2014b). C-5 A/B/C galaxy and C-5M super galaxy US air force fact sheet. Retrieved from www.af.mil/AboutUs/FactSheets.aspx.
- United States Air Force. (2015a). Air force total ownership cost. Retrieved from https://www.aftoc/hill.af.mil.
- United States Air Force. (2015b). AMC unveils new generation command and control system. Retrieved from www.amc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123015383.
- United States Air Force. (2015c). C-17 Globemaster III US air force fact sheet. Retrieved from www.af.mil/AboutUs/FactSheets.aspx.