An optimization model for container inventory management
- 527 Downloads
This paper formulates the empty container repositioning (ECR) problem, which is one of the most important issues in the container shipping industry, by running a model to generate the service route of feeder shipping in a dynamic environment. The objective is to reduce the disequilibrium of laden and empty containers. This paper first provides a literature review with the emphasis on the shipping scheduling and modelling of ECR. Second, a network model has been designed to find the optimum size of ship servicing a particular region. A simply ECR policy is tested to demonstrate an essential impact on the profit of a container transport system. With the aid of this heuristic shipping model, ECR is integrated with the tramp ship routing problem under dynamic condition.
KeywordsEmpty container repositioning Container inventory management Artificial bee colony algorithm
We would like to thank the Guest Editors and two anonymous referees for their extremely helpful comments. This research was partially supported by Research Grant of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Project Code G-YBEG).
- DNV, G. L. (2016). Maritime software. [Online] https://www.dnvgl.com/maritime/software.html. Accessed 19 Jan 2016.
- Hutchins, R. (2015). Less container ship capacity forecast to be scrapped. New York: Journal of Commerce.Google Scholar
- Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers. (2015). Containerisation, unitisation and intermodalism. In T. Mason (Ed.), Liner trades (pp. 103–128). London: Witherby Seamanship International Ltd.Google Scholar
- Investment Weekly News. (2014). Research and markets; Ship fleet management system—market outlook report. [Online] http://search.proquest.com/docview/1626002420?OpenUrlRefId=info:xri/sid:primo&accountid=16210. Accessed 19 Jan 2016.
- Karaboga, D. (2005). An idea based on honey bee swam for numerical optimization. Kayseri: Erciyes University, Engineering Faculty, Computer Engineering Department.Google Scholar
- Progressive Digital Media Transportation News. (2015). OOCL orders six mega container vessels for $951.6m. London: Progressive Digital Media.Google Scholar
- PRWEB, (2013). Growth of Fleet Management Systems Market to 2018 Forecast at a CAGR of 22.8% in a New Research Available at ReportsnReports.com. [Online] http://www.prweb.com/releases/Fleet-management-systems/2018-FMS-forecast/prweb11038928.htm. Accessed 19 Jan 2016.
- Shui, C., & Szeto, W. (2015). An artificial bee colony algorithm for public bike repositioning. Sydney, The 37th Australasian Transport Research Forum (ATRF 2015).Google Scholar
- Stopford, M. (2009). Maritime rconomics (3rd ed.). s.l.: Routledge.Google Scholar
- United Nations. (2014). Review of maritime transport. Geneva: United Nations.Google Scholar
- United Nations. (2015). Review of maritime transport. Geneva: United Nations.Google Scholar
- Wolff, J., Herz, N., & Flamig, H. (2012). Report on case study empty container logistics Hamburg-Baltic Sea region. Hamburg: Hamburg University of Technology.Google Scholar