Inductive groupoids and cross-connections of regular semigroups
- 6 Downloads
There are two major structure theorems for an arbitrary regular semigroup using categories, both due to Nambooripad. The first construction using inductive groupoids departs from the biordered set structure of a given regular semigroup. This approach belongs to the realm of the celebrated Ehresmann–Schein–Nambooripad Theorem and its subsequent generalisations. The second construction is a generalisation of Grillet’s work on cross-connected partially ordered sets, arising from the principal ideals of the given semigroup. In this article, we establish a direct equivalence between these two seemingly different constructions. We show how the cross-connection representation of a regular semigroup may be constructed directly from the inductive groupoid of the semigroup, and vice versa.
Key words and phrasesregular semigroup biordered set inductive groupoid crossconnection normal category
Mathematics Subject Classification20M10 20M17 20M50 18B40 06A75
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We are very grateful to J. Meakin, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, for reading an initial draft of the article and helping us with several enlightening suggestions. We also thank the referee for the careful reading of the article and the detailed comments which helped us to improve the manuscript.
- 4.P. A. Azeef Muhammed, Cross-connections and variants of the full transformation semigroup, Acta Sci. Math. (Szeged) (2018), to appear; arXiv:1703.04139
- 5.P. A. Azeef Muhammed, Cross-connections of linear transformation semigroups, Semigroup Forum (2018), https://doi.org/10.1007/s00233-018-9942-5.
- 6.P. A. Azeef Muhammed, K. S. S. Nambooripad, and P. G. Romeo, Cross-connection structure of concordant semigroups (2018), submitted; arXiv:1806.11031
- 7.P. A. Azeef Muhammed and A. R. Rajan, Cross-connections of the singular transformation semigroup, J. Algebra Appl., 17(2018), 1850047Google Scholar
- 8.P. A. Azeef Muhammed and M. V. Volkov, Inductive groupoids and cross-connections (2018), in preparationGoogle Scholar
- 11.A. H. Clifford and G. B. Preston, The Algebraic Theory of Semigroups, Vol. 1, Mathematical Surveys, 7, American Mathematical Society (Providence, RI, 1961)Google Scholar
- 19.V. Gould, Restriction and Ehresmann semigroups, in: Proceedings of the International Conference on Algebra 2010: Advances in Algebraic Structures, World Scientific (2011), p. 265Google Scholar
- 31.P. J. Higgins, Notes on Categories and Groupoids, Van Nostrand (Reinhold, 1971)Google Scholar
- 37.M. V. Lawson, Inverse Semigroups: The Theory of Partial Symmetries, World Scientific Pub. Co., Inc. (1998)Google Scholar
- 40.S. MacLane, Categories for the Working Mathematician, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, 5, Springer-Verlag (New York, 1971)Google Scholar
- 44.J. C. Meakin and A. R. Rajan, Tribute to K. S. S. Nambooripad, Semigroup Forum, 91 (2015), 299–304Google Scholar
- 47.K. S. S. Nambooripad, Structure of Regular Semigroups, PhD thesis, University of Kerala (India, 1973)Google Scholar
- 51.K. S. S. Nambooripad, Structure of Regular Semigroups. I, Mem. Amer. Math. Soc., 224, American Mathematical Society (Providence, RI, 1979)Google Scholar
- 53.K. S. S. Nambooripad, Structure of Regular Semigroups. II. Cross-connections, Publication No. 15, Centre for Mathematical Sciences (Thiruvananthapuram, 1989)Google Scholar
- 54.K. S. S. Nambooripad, Theory of Cross-connections, Publication No. 28, Centre for Mathematical Sciences (Thiruvananthapuram, 1994)Google Scholar
- 55.K. S. S. Nambooripad, Cross-connections, in: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Semigroups and Applications, University of Kerala (Thiruvananthapuram, 2007), pp. 1–25Google Scholar
- 56.K. S. S. Nambooripad, Cross-connections (2014), www.sayahna.org/crs/
- 57.K. S. S. Nambooripad, Theory of Regular Semigroups, Sayahna Foundation (Thiruvananthapuram, 2018)Google Scholar
- 59.M. S. Putcha, Linear Algebraic Monoids, London Mathematical Society Lecture Note Series, 133, Cambridge University Press (1988)Google Scholar
- 60.A. R. Rajan, Certain categories derived from normal categories, in: Semigroups, Algebras and Operator Theory (Kochi, India, February 2014), (P. G. Romeo, J. C. Meakin, and A. R. Rajan, editors), Springer (India, 2015), pp. 57–66.Google Scholar
- 61.A. R. Rajan, Structure theory of regular semigroups using categories, in: Algebra and its Applications: ICAA (Aligarh, India, December 2014), (S. T. Rizvi, A. Ali, and V. D. Filippis, editors), Springer (Singapore, 2016), pp. 259–264Google Scholar
- 62.A. R. Rajan, Inductive groupoids and normal categories of regular semigroups, Algebra and its Applications (International Conference at AMU, Aligarh, India, 2016), (M. Ashraf, V. D. Filippis, and S. T. Rizvi, editors), De Gruyter (Boston, Berlin, 2018), pp. 193–200Google Scholar
- 63.P. G. Romeo, Cross connections of Concordant Semigroups, PhD thesis, University of Kerala (India, 1993).Google Scholar
- 65.B. M. Schein, On the theory of generalised groups and generalised heaps, in: The Theory of Semigroups and its Applications, Saratov State University, Russia (1965), pp. 286–324 (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 66.B. M. Schein, On the theory of inverse semigroups and generalised grouds, Amer. Math. Soc. Transl. Ser. 2, 113 (1979), 89–122 (English translation)Google Scholar
- 68.S. Wang, An Ehresmann–Schein–Nambooripad-type theorem for a class of P-restriction semigroups, Bull. Malays. Math. Sci. Soc. (2017), 1–34Google Scholar