A 600 V high voltage gate driver IC with excellent allowable negative VS bias capability for E-mode GaN power devices
In this paper, a 600 V high voltage gate driver IC with excellent allowable negative VS bias capability is proposed. In order to prevent the bootstrap capacitor from overcharging, a voltage signal from negative voltage sensor is utilized to control the charging path of it when the negative voltage in VS is detected. A bilevel isolated bootstrap circuit is utilized for the level shifter and the subsequent circuit, respectively. It guarantees the normally functions even when VS is lower than − VCC. The proposed 600 V gate driver IC is fabricated in 0.5 μm 600 V Bipolar–CMOS–DMOS process. Measured results show that its basic function is normal even when Vs = − 6 V at 5 V power supply voltage. The quiescent current when Vs = − 6 V is 40.63 μA, which is approximately same with it when VS = 0 V.
KeywordsAllowable negative Vs bias capability Gallium nitride High voltage gate driver
This work was supported by the National Key Research and Development Plan (2017YFB0402904), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61874026, 61804026, 61504025), the China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (2019M651647, 2019T120376), the Jiangsu Postdoctoral Research Foundation (2018K001A), the Key Research and Development Plan of Jiangsu (BE2018003-3) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities.
- 1.Ujita, S., Kinoshita, Y., Umeda, H., et al. (2014). A compact GaN-based DC–DC converter IC with high-speed gate drivers enabling high efficiencies. In IEEE international symposium on power semiconductor devices & IC’s (ISPSD) (pp. 51–54).Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, J., & Ng, W. T. (2017). Design trends in smart gate driver ICs for power MOSFETs and IGBTs. In IEEE international conference on Asic (pp. 112–115).Google Scholar
- 4.GaN Systems. (2016). GS66516T Top-side cooled 650 V emode GaN transistor preliminary datasheet.Google Scholar
- 5.Edward, J., Fred, W., Burak, O., et al. (2014). Application-based review of GaN HFETs. In IEEE workshop on wide bandgap power devices and applications (WBPDA) (pp. 2302–2309).Google Scholar
- 7.Alex, L., Johan, S., David, R., et al. (2019). GaN transistors for efficient power conversion (2nd edn). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- 8.Xugang, K., Joseph, S., Min, S., et al. (2016). A 3-to-40 V 10-to-30 MHz automotive-use GaN driver with active BST balancing and VSW dual-edge dead-time modulation achieving 8.3% efficiency improvement and 3.4 ns constant propagation delay. In IEEE international solid-state circuits conference (ISSCC) (pp. 302–304).Google Scholar
- 9.Ye, Z., & Pilawa-Podgurski, R. C. N. (2016). A power supply circuit for gate driver of GaN-based flying capacitor multi-level converters. In IEEE 4th workshop on wide bandgap power devices and applications (WiPDA) (pp. 53–58).Google Scholar
- 10.Johan, D., Pierre, J., David, F., et al. (2012). High frequency DC–DC converter using GaN device. In IEEE applied power electronics conference and exposition (APEC) (pp. 1754–1761).Google Scholar
- 11.Yangyang, L., Jing, Z., Weifeng, S., et al. (2018). A 600 V high-side gate drive circuit with ultra-low propagation delay for enhancement mode GaN devices. In IEEE 30th international symposium on power semiconductor devices and ICs (ISPSD) (pp. 80–83).Google Scholar
- 12.Kinam, S., Wonhi, O., Jinkyu, C., et al. (2018). A new 1200 V HVIC with high side edge trigger in order to solve the latch on failure by the negative VS surge. In IEEE 30th international symposium on power semiconductor devices and ICs (ISPSD) (pp. 351–354).Google Scholar
- 13.Jing, Z., Yunwu, Z., Weifeng, S., et al. (2018). Noise immunity and its temperature characteristics study of the capacitive-loaded level shift circuit for high voltage gate drive IC. In IEEE transactions on industrial electronics (TIE) (pp. 3027–3034).Google Scholar
- 14.Texas Instruments. (2011). LM5113 Datasheet: LM5113 5A, 100V, 4A, High Frequency, Half-Bridge Gate Driver. http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm5113.pdf.
- 15.Infineon. (2001). IR2101 high and low side driver. https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-ir2101-DS-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a4015355c7a755166c.
- 16.Fairchild Semiconductor. (2017). FAN7080 datasheet: FAN7080_GF085 half bridge gate driver. https://www.onsemi.cn/PowerSolutions/document/FAN7080_GF085-D.PDF.