Stability analysis of fractional-order Colpitts oscillators
- 164 Downloads
The mathematical formulae of six topologies of fractional-order Colpitts oscillator are introduced in this paper. Half of these topologies are based on MOS transistor, and the other half is based on BJT transistor. The design procedure for all of these topologies is proposed and summarized for each one. Stability analysis is very crucial in oscillators’ design, as oscillators should have its poles on the imaginary axis to obtain a sustained oscillation. Hence, determining the factors that control the oscillator’s stability is very important. An intensive study of the stability of Colpitts oscillator is introduced, including different cases for all topologies. Additionally, circuit simulation is conducted using Valsa’s emulator of the fractional-order capacitor for validating the mathematical formulae and the stability criteria. Experimental work is also included to verify the mathematical findings and circuit simulations.
KeywordsFractional-order circuits Colpitts Oscillators Stability Valsa’s network Fractional-order capacitor
Authors would like to thank Science and Technology Development Fund (STDF) for funding the project # 25977 and Nile University for facilitating all procedures required to complete this study.
- 12.Ismail, S. M., Said, L. A., Radwan, A. G., Madian, A. H., Abu-ElYazeed, M. F., & Soliman, A. M. (2015). Generalized fractional logistic map suitable for data encryption. In: 2015 International conference on science and technology (TICST), IEEE, pp. 336–341.Google Scholar
- 14.Said, L. A., Radwan, A. G., Madian, A. H., & Soliman, A. M. (2016). Fractional-order inverting and non-inverting filters based on CFOA. In 39th International conference on telecommunications and signal processing (TSP), IEEE, pp. 599–602.Google Scholar
- 17.Sedra, A. S., & Smith, K. C. (2016). Microelectronic circuits. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- 23.Kartci, A., Herencsar, N., Koton, J., Brancik, L., Vrba, K., Tsirimokou, G., & Psychalinos, C. (2017). Fractional-order oscillator design using unity-gain voltage buffers and otas. In IEEE 60th International midwest symposium on circuits and systems (MWSCAS), IEEE, pp. 555–558.Google Scholar
- 25.Elwy, O., Hamed, E. M., Rashad, S. H., AbdelAty, A. M., Said, L. A. & Radwan A. G. (2018). On the approximation of fractional-order circuit design. In Fractional order systems, Elsevier, pp. 239–270.Google Scholar
- 28.Said, L. A., Radwan, A. G., Madian, A. H., & Soliman, A. M. (2017). Generalized family of fractional-order oscillators based on single CFOA and RC network. In 2017 6th International conference on modern circuits and systems technologies (MOCAST), IEEE, pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 29.Radwan, A. (2012). Stability analysis of the fractional-order RL\(\beta\)C\(\alpha\) circuit. Journal of Fractional Calculus and Applications, 3(1), 1–15.Google Scholar
- 30.Said, L. A., Radwan, A. G., Madian, A. H., & Soliman, A. M. (2018). Survey on two-port network-based fractional-order oscillators. In Fractional order systems, Elsevier, pp. 305–327.Google Scholar
- 34.Valsa, J., Dvorak, P., & Friedl, M. (2011). Network model of the CPE. Radioengineering, 20(3), 619–626.Google Scholar