Towards smarter city: clever school transportation system
Aligned with the recent revolution of smart cities concept, a lot of work has been done to support the education process in direct or indirect way. In countries like Lebanon, in which the choice of school does not depend on the residence location, parents are becoming more and more selective in the quality of schools they are choosing for their children. This fact may lead parents to choose a modern and good school even if it is far from their residence. On the other hand, and even if the school was close enough, the traffic congestion would make the on-feet journey of the kid to the school very risky. Driving children to school is a solution. However, it consumes a lot of time and effort each day in the morning and the afternoon. Hence, school buses are commonly used by all schools to take the student from and to his home. Nevertheless, waiting the bus each day to arrive is an exhausting and a time-wasting mission. In this paper we present a smart transportation system for school buses that helps in saving parents’ time, by avoiding waiting school buses in the morning and then in the afternoon to return kids back, especially with the increasing traffic jams at these hours. The proposed mobile and web application is designed to help parents, school and the bus to communicate automatically and easily via the application in order to detect kids’ arrival time. The bus application side will notify parents few minutes before its approaching to their homes. Furthermore, the system will allow parents to inform the school and hence the bus application side about the absence of their kid. The system has been efficiently and dynamically designed and implemented so it can be hosted and used by any school administration without the need to any major modifications. It has been tested on a summer school to prove its efficiency and marked an important positive feedback from the school and the parents’ sides.
KeywordsSmart cities Tracking systems Mobile applications Web applications
We would like to thank Athar Ghamloush and Hawraa Hamdan the two students who contributed in this work as a part of their BS final project.
- 1.Greenberg, A. (2018). How will smart city technologies impact education? https://www.hottopics.ht/13887/how-will-smart-city-technologies-impact-education/. Accessed 20 Jan 2018.
- 2.Uber taxi service. https://get.uber.com/invite/jvub5. Accessed 20 Jan 2018.
- 3.Kenney, B. (2018). The best GPS tracking watches for kids. http://smartwatches.org/. Accessed 20 Jan 2018.
- 4.Deitel, P. (2012). Android for programmers: An app-driven approach. Deitel DeveloperGoogle Scholar
- 5.Lee, W.-M. (2012). Beginning Android 4 application development (2nd ed.). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- 6.Garca-Molina, H., Ullman, J. D., & Widom, J. (2008). Database systems: The complete book (2nd ed.). London: Pearson.Google Scholar