Community Levels of PrEP Use Among Men Who Have Sex with Men by Race/Ethnicity, San Francisco, 2017
- 293 Downloads
Efforts in San Francisco are maximizing the use of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) among men who have sex with men (MSM) where high levels of use are needed to maximize reducing new HIV infections. National HIV Behavioral Surveillance surveys MSM in San Francisco. Demographics, health care and risk behaviors are assessed. PrEP use is measured for 12 month, 6 month and 30 day periods. Of 399 HIV uninfected men sampled in 2017, 43.4% used PrEP in the past 12 months. Proportions of men using PrEP by race/ethnicity were not significant at any time point. Decreases between 6 month and 30 day use were highest among African American and Latino men. These men had the highest proportion of intermittent use in the past 30 days but not significantly. While our data suggest the disparity in PrEP use by race/ethnicity has narrowed in San Francisco, novel delivery of PrEP may narrow disparity further.
KeywordsMen who have sex with men Race/ethnicity Pre-exposure prophylaxis Disparities
This study was funded by CDC (Grant Number 1U62/PS005077).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 2.CDC. HIV among gay and bisexual men. Atlanta: CDC; 2017.Google Scholar
- 3.Grant R, Liu A, Hecht J, Buchbinder S, Weber S, Crouch P-C, et al. Scale-up of preexposure prophylaxis in San Francisco to impact HIV incidence. CROI 2015, Seattle Washington 2015.Google Scholar
- 11.(CDC) cfdcap. Update to interim guidance for preexposure prophylaxis (prep) for the prevention of HIV infection: prep for injecting drug users. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62(23):463–5.Google Scholar
- 14.Glasmeier AK. Living Wage Calculator: MIT; 2018. http://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/06075.
- 16.USPublicHealthService. Preexposure prophylaxis for the prevention of HIV infection in the United States- 2014 A Clinical Practice Guideline. In: Service UPH, editor. 2014.Google Scholar