Characterization of HIV Recent Infection Among High-Risk Men at Public STI Clinics in Mumbai
We examined associations with HIV recent infection and estimated transmitted drug resistance (TDR) prevalence among 3345 men at sexually transmitted infection clinics in Mumbai (2002–2005). HIV seroincidence was 7.92% by the BED-CEIA and was higher at a clinic located near brothels (12.39%) than at a hospital-based clinic (3.94%). HIV recent infection was associated with a lifetime history of female sex worker (FSW) partners, HSV-2, genital warts, and gonorrhea. TDR prevalence among recent infection cases was 5.7%. HIV testing services near sex venues may enhance case detection among high-risk men who represent a bridging population between FSWs and the men’s other sexual partners.
KeywordsHIV Recent infection Sexually transmitted infections High-risk men Female sex workers Transmitted drug resistance
This study was funded by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIH R01 AI043914, PI: C.P. Lindan), UCSF AIDS Research Institute and the Carl L. Gaylord Estate (PI: H.M. Truong) and UCSF International Traineeships in AIDS Prevention Studies (NIH R25 MH064712; PI: G. Rutherford).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 1.UNAIDS. Report on the global AIDS epidemic 2013. http://www.unaids.org/sites/default/files/media_asset/UNAIDS_Global_Report_2013_en_1.pdf.
- 2.UNAIDS. AIDS epidemic update 2006. UNAIDS, 2007. http://data.unaids.org/pub/epislides/2007/2007_epiupdate_en.pdf.
- 3.NACO. Annual HIV Sentinel Surveillance Country Report 2006. NACO, 2007. http://nacoonline.org/upload/NACO%20PDF/HIV%20Sentinel%20Surveillance%202006_India%20Country%20Report.pdf.
- 11.HIV Drug Resistance Database. http://www.hivdb.stanford.edu.
- 12.International Antiviral Society-USA. HIV drug resistance mutations. https://www.iasusa.org/content/drug-resistance-mutations-in-HIV.
- 18.National AIDS Control Organization: HIV Sentinel Surveillance 2012–2013: National Report. http://www.naco.gov.in/upload/2015%20MSLNS/HIV%20India%20Sentinel%20Surveillance%202012-13_Final.pdf.
- 19.UNAIDS. 90-90-90—an ambitious treatment target to help end the AIDS epidemic. http://www.unaids.org/sites/default/files/media_asset/90-90-90_en.pdf.