Effects of Rootstock and Interstock on Pollen Traits and Flowering Synchronization in Pistachio (Pistacia vera L.)
- 18 Downloads
An experiment was carried out in Khatam region, Yazd province, Iran from 2008–2016 where two popular pistachio rootstocks and one interstock were evaluated with one male scion to synchronize flowering period of the late flowering ‘Akbari’ as female and medium flowering ‘M1’ as male. In this experiment, ‘Badami-e-Zarand’ (B) and ‘Fandoghi’ (F) were used as rootstocks and ‘Akbari’ (A) as interstock and three grafting combinations were examined including B/M1, F/M1 and B/A/M1. In terms of flowering time, our results showed that the B/A/M1 combination could delay the flowering in male genotype and make an overlap of 6 days between flowering period of ‘Akbari’, as female and M1 as male pistachio (24–29 March). Rootstocks had no significant effect on flowering time of M1. Pollen tube length and growth rate was influenced by different grafting combinations while pollen germination percentage was similar between treatments.
KeywordsPistachio ‘Akbari’ cvs Interstock Male pistachio Pollen
Einflüsse von Unterlage und Zwischenveredlung auf Polleneigenschaften und Synchronisierung der Blütezeit bei Pistazie (Pistacia vera L.)
SchlüsselwörterPistaziensorte ‘Akbari’ Zwischenveredlung Männlicher Pistazienbaum Pollen
We thank Vali-e-Asr University of Rafsanjan for providing support for this research.
Conflict of interest
M.J. Mahmoudi Meimand and M.H. Shamshiri declare that they have no competing interests.
- Bagheri V, Shamshiri MH, Shirani H, Roosta H (2012) Nutrient uptake and distribution in mycorrhizal pistachio seedlings under drought stress. J Agric Sci Tech 14:1591–1604Google Scholar
- Fallahi E, Colt WM, Fallahi B, Chun IJ (2002) The importance of apple rootstocks on tree growth, yield, fruit quality, leaf nutrition, and photosynthesis with an emphasis on ’Fuji’. Hort Technol 12:38–44Google Scholar
- Ozturk A, Ozturk B (2014) The rootstock influences growth and development of ‘Deveci’ pear. Türk Tarım Ve Doğa Bilimleri 6:1049–1053Google Scholar
- Pontikis C (1989) Effects of hydrogen cyanamide on bloom advancement in female pistachio (Pistacia vera L.). Fruit Var J 43:125–128Google Scholar
- Turker S, Ak B (2010) Effects of different rootstocks on physical traits of Siirt and Ohadi pistachio cultivars. In: Zakynthinos G (ed) XIV GREMPA Meeting on Pistachios and Almonds Zaragoza. Options Méditerranéennes : Série A. Séminaires Méditerranéens, vol 94, pp 245–250Google Scholar
- Zeraatkar H, Karimi HR, Shamshiri MH, Tajabadipur A (2013) Preliminary evaluation of artificial pollination in pistachio using pollen suspension spray. Plant Knowl J 2(3):94–98Google Scholar