Ultrasound-Assisted Ionic Liquid Solid–Liquid Extraction Coupled with Aqueous Two-Phase Extraction of Naphthoquinone Pigments in Arnebia euchroma (Royle) Johnst.
- 4 Downloads
A simple, rapid and green ultrasound-assisted ionic liquid solid–liquid extraction coupled with aqueous two-phase extraction method was developed and applied to the extraction of shikonin, acetylshikonin and β,β′-dimethylacrylshikonin in Arnebia euchroma (Royle) Johnst. The separation and determination of the analytes was performed by high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with diode array detection. In the study, 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium tetrafluoroborate ([C4MIM][BF4]) was used as extraction solvent. Ionic liquid-based solid–liquid extraction and aqueous two-phase extraction were performed simultaneously in one tube under the assistance of ultrasound. The liquid–liquid–solid three-phase system, namely surfactant-rich phase, water-rich phase and sample-rich phase, was formed. The target analytes were enriched in the surfactant-rich phase. Under the optimal experimental conditions, the calibration curves of target analytes showed good linear relationship (r > 0.9997). The inter-day and intra-day precision were in the range of 3.42–8.53 and 1.98–3.14%, respectively. The LOD and LOQ for the target analytes were in the range of 5.0–19.2 and 16.7–64.2 ng mL−1, respectively. The recoveries of naphthoquinone pigments ranged from 90.00 to 97.73% and relative standard deviations were less than 4.50%. Compared with heat reflux extraction and ultrasonic-assisted extraction, the proposed method is simpler, faster and more effective, because the mass transfer process for the analytes was always performed in one centrifugal tube and the steps such as filtration, concentration and redissolution were avoided. The present method was demonstrated to be efficient and satisfactory for the extraction of naphthoquinone pigments in medicinal plants.
KeywordsHigh-performance liquid chromatography Aqueous two-phase extraction Ionic liquid Naphthoquinone pigments Ultrasound-assisted extraction Arnebia euchroma (Royle) Johnst
This study was financially supported by the Education Department of Jilin Province (Grant no. JJKH20181014KJ) and the Department of Science and Technology of Jilin Province (Grant no. 20190304011YY).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 11.Sharma N, Sharma UK, Gupta AP, Devla Sinha AK, Lal B, Ahuja PS (2009) Simultaneous densitometric determination of shikonin, acetylshikonin, and β-acetoxyisovaleryl-shikonin in ultrasonic-assisted extracts of four Arnebia species using reversed-phase thin layer chromatography. J Sep Sci 32:3239–3245CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Gao SQ, You JY, Wang Y, Zhang R, Zhang HQ (2012) On-line continuous sampling dynamic microwave-assisted extraction coupled with high performance liquid chromatographic separation for the determination of lignans in Wuweizi and naphthoquinones in Zicao. J Chromatogr B 887–888:35–42CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Zhang Q, Cai DF, Wang L, Yang XT, Fan SJ, Zhang KY (2018) Rapid and sensitive determination of shikonin and its derivatives in the roots of Arnebia euchroma (Royle) Johnst using matrix solid-phase dispersion extraction and ultrahigh-performance liquid chromatography with photodiode array detector. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 41:489–497CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Sharma N, Sharma UK, Malik S, Bhushan S, Kumar V, Verma SC, Sharma N, Sharma M, Sinha AK (2008) Isolation and purification of acetylshikonin and β-acetoxyisovalerylshikonin from cell suspension cultures of Arnebia euchroma (Royle) Johnston using rapid preparative HPLC. J Sep Sci 31:629–635CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Gutowski KE, Broker GA, Willauer HD, Huddleston JG, Swatloski RP, Holbrey JD, Rogers RD (2003) Controlling the aqueous miscibility of ionic liquids: aqueous biphasic systems of water-miscible ionic liquids and water-structuring salts for recycle, metathesis, and separations. J Am Chem Soc 125:6632–6633CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.Pharmacopoeia Committee of China (2015) Chinese pharmacopoeia. Chemical Industrial Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- 46.Yu W, Liu ZL, Gao SQ, Cui SS, Yang X, Qiu W, Zhang HQ, Yu AM, Huan YF (2013) Determination of sulfonamides in blood using acetonitrile-salt aqueous two-phase extraction coupled with high-performance liquid chromatography and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Methods 5:5983–5989CrossRefGoogle Scholar