Synthesis of Octyl-Quaternary Ammonium Mixed-Mode Stationary Phase by Vapor Deposition Approach and Its Application in Compound Preparation Separation
- 16 Downloads
An octyl-quaternary ammonium (Sil-C8-QA)-modified silica stationary phase was prepared by a two-step vapor deposition method which can substantially reduce the consumption of toxic organic solvents. The structure of the dual-functional ligands stationary phase was characterized by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and solid-state 13C CP/MAS NMR. Following elemental analysis, the surface density of octyl and quaternary ammonium bonding amount is 2.13 µmol m−2 and 0.77 µmol m−2, respectively. The efficiency and selectivity of the two-ligand phases were compared with two sole functional ligand phases: quaternary ammonium (Sil-QA)- and octyl-modified silica (Sil-C8). Chromatographic evaluation demonstrated a mixed-mode reversed-phase/anion-exchange retention property on the Sil-C8-QA column. The retention behavior of a homologous series of alkylbenzoic acids on the synthesized phase was systematically studied by changing the pH, ionic, and solvent strength of the mobile phase. A well-established mixed-model mechanism was confirmed. The Sil-C8-QA phase can predominantly enhance the retention of acidic drugs and improve their selectivity. It was also successfully applied to the simultaneous separation and determination of three kinds of compound preparations with large differences in component polarity.
KeywordsMixed-mode chromatography (MMC) Reversed-phase chromatography Ion-exchange chromatography Vapor deposition Octyl-quaternary ammonium Compound preparation
We thank Prof. Qian-Hong Wan from Tianjin University for his technical assistance with chromatography evaluation. We also thank Dr. Xinghua Jin of Tianjin University for performing the elemental analysis.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 1.Yan JL, Li M, Li RY, Wu LP, Sun YF, Li HL (2013) Chin J Tissue Eng Res 33:6055–6060Google Scholar
- 2.Li QP, Liu XM, Dai JD (2014) China J Chin Mater Med 39:402–406Google Scholar
- 3.Snyder LR, Kirkland JJ, Dolan JW (2010) Introduction to modern liquid chromatography, 3rd edn. Wiley, WeinheimGoogle Scholar
- 23.Guo ZQ, Chen F, Deng Y, Wan QH, Chen L (2009) Chem J Chin Univ 30:2017–2023Google Scholar
- 28.Zhang MY, Wang HB, Chen H, Sun XL, Jiang R (2011) Acta Chim Slov 58:60–68Google Scholar
- 35.Wang YH, Liu GR, Fu CG, Wang XS, Cao XQ, Wang SE (2006) Chin J Pharm Anal 26:692–695Google Scholar