Development and Validation of an HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Flurbiprofen and Chlorhexidine Gluconate
- 91 Downloads
Flurbiprofen (FBP) is a strong nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug which has analgesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory effects. Chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) is a potent antibacterial agent. Nowadays, FBP and CHG as a combination are used in some pharmaceutical products. In this study, an analysis method was developed for the simultaneous determination of FBP and CHG using high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) technique. During analysis, Agilent Poroshell 120 EC-C18 column was used as stationary phase with a guard column having the same properties. Sodium phosphate buffer solution (100 mM, pH 2.5) and acetonitrile were used as mobile phase. The chromatography was performed by gradient elution at a flow rate of 0.5 mL min−1. Analytes were detected at 248 nm using a diode array detector (DAD). The developed method was validated according to United States Pharmacopoeia. It was found to be linear in the concentration range between 1 and 25 ppm. Determination coefficient was 0.9999 for FBP and CHG. The developed method was applied successfully for HPLC analysis of commercial pharmaceutical products including FBP and CHG.
KeywordsHPLC Flurbiprofen Chlorhexidine gluconate Analysis Validation
This work was financially supported by the Yeditepe University, İstanbul, Turkey.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 5.Maha MY, Maan MN, Amer AT (2013) An in vitro evaluation of the antibacterial activity of experimental chlorhexidine gluconate solution using agar diffusion test. Tikrit J Dental Sci 1:94–100Google Scholar
- 8.Nikolin B, Imamović B, Medanhodžić-Vuk S, Šober M (2004) High performance liquid chromatography in pharmaceutical analyses. Bosn J Basic Med Sci 4:5–9Google Scholar
- 9.United States Pharmacopoeia (2000) United States Pharmacopoeial Convention, 24th edn. United States Pharmacopoeia, RockvilleGoogle Scholar
- 10.European Pharmacopeia (2005) Council of Europe, 5th edn. Strasbourg, FranceGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ünal DÖ, Güler S, Erol DD (2009) Development and validation of bioanalytical method for determination of flurbiprofen from human plasma by liquid chromatography. Hacet Univ J Fac Pharm 29:25–35Google Scholar
- 19.Yılmaz B, Alkan E (2015) Spectrofluorometric and uv spectrophotometric methods for the determination of flurbiprofen in pharmaceutical preparations. Res Rev Pharm Anal 4:1–8Google Scholar
- 26.United States Pharmacopeia (2014) United States Pharmacopeial Convention. United States Pharmacopeia, RockvilleGoogle Scholar