A novel method based on nonparametric regression with a Gaussian kernel algorithm identifies the critical components in CHO media and feed optimization
- 45 Downloads
As the composition of animal cell culture medium becomes more complex, the identification of key variables is important for simplifying and guiding the subsequent medium optimization. However, the traditional experimental design methods are impractical and limited in their ability to explore such large feature spaces. Therefore, in this work, we developed a NRGK (nonparametric regression with Gaussian kernel) method, which aimed to identify the critical components that affect product titres during the development of cell culture media. With this nonparametric model, we successfully identified the important components that were neglected by the conventional PLS (partial least squares regression) method. The superiority of the NRGK method was further verified by ANOVA (analysis of variance). Additionally, it was proven that the selection accuracy was increased with the NRGK method because of its ability to model both the nonlinear and linear relationships between the medium components and titres. The application of this NRGK method provides new perspectives for the more precise identification of the critical components that further enable the optimization of media in a shorter timeframe.
KeywordsVariable selection Nonparametric regression with Gaussian kernel Chinese hamster ovary cells Medium optimization
This work was supported by the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. 22221818014).
- 3.Bothinah AS (2014) Application of dynamic partial least squares to complex processes. Doctoral dissertation, Newcastle UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 5.Cheng JL, Zheng M, Lou JQ (2012) Comparison of several common optimal experimental design methods. Res Explor Lab 7:7–11Google Scholar
- 11.Jiang Z, Droms K, Geng Z, Casnocha S, Xiao Z, Gorfien S (2012) Fed-batch cell culture process optimization. BioProcess Int 10(3):40–45Google Scholar
- 13.Li L, Zhang X, Ning Z, Mayne J, Moore JI, Butcher J, Chiang CK, Mack DR, Stintzi A, Figeys D (2017) Evaluating in vitro culture medium of gut microbiome with orthogonal experimental design and metaproteomics approach. J Proteome Res 17(1):154–163. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jproteome.7b00461 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Liang W, Liu X, Tan W (2015) Optimization of suspended serum-free medium for BHK-21 cells by combining mixture with response surface analysis. Biotechnol Bull 31(9):70–78Google Scholar
- 25.Zambom AZ (2012) Hypothesis testing and variable selection in nonparametric regression. Doctoral dissertation, The Pennsylvania State UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 26.Zhang CQ (2005) Research on mixture experimental designs. J Guangzhou Univ 4(5):381–385Google Scholar