Mild hydrothermal pretreatment of sugarcane bagasse enhances the production of holocellulases by Aspergillus niger
- 111 Downloads
Holocellulase production by Aspergillus niger using raw sugarcane bagasse (rSCB) as the enzyme-inducing substrate is hampered by the intrinsic recalcitrance of this material. Here we report that mild hydrothermal pretreatment of rSCB increases holocellulase secretion by A. niger. Quantitative proteomic analysis revealed that pretreated solids (PS) induced a pronounced up-regulation of endoglucanases and cellobiohydrolases compared to rSCB, which resulted in a 10.1-fold increase in glucose release during SCB saccharification. The combined use of PS and pretreatment liquor (PL), referred to as whole pretreated slurry (WPS), as carbon source induced a more balanced up-regulation of cellulases, hemicellulases and pectinases and resulted in the highest increase (4.8-fold) in the release of total reducing sugars from SCB. The use of PL as the sole carbon source induced the modulation of A. niger’s secretome towards hemicellulose degradation. Mild pretreatment allowed the use of PL in downstream biological operations without the need for undesirable detoxification steps.
KeywordsIntegrated enzyme production Biorefinery Proteomics Secretome Holocellulose-degrading enzymes
This work was supported by the Brazilian National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel (CAPES) and the Foundation for Research Support of the Federal District (FAPDF, Grant PRONEX 0193.001195/2016). Funding was also provided by the Funding Authority for Studies and Projects (FINEP/CT-INFRA, Grants 0439/2011 and 0694/2013) to MVS.
- 1.Bigelow M, Wyman CE (2002) Cellulase production on bagasse pretreated with hot water. In: Finkelstein M, McMillan JD, Davison BH (eds) Biotechnology for fuels and chemicals. Applied biochemistry and biotechnology. Humana Press, Totowa, NJGoogle Scholar
- 3.Borin GP, Sanchez CC, Santana ES, Zanini GK, Santos RAC, Pontes AO, Souza AT, Dal RMMTS, Riaño-Pachón DM, Goldman GH (2017) Comparative transcriptome analysis reveals different strategies for degradation of steam-exploded sugarcane bagasse by Aspergillus niger and Trichoderma reesei. BMC Genom 18:501CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Daly P, van Munster JM, Blythe MJ, Ibbett R, Kokolski M, Gaddipati S, Lindquist E, Singan VR, Barry KW, Lipzen A, Ngan CY, Petzold CJ, Chan LJG, Pullan ST, Delmas S, Waldron PR, Grigoriev IV, Tucker GA, Simmons BA, Archer DB (2017) Expression of Aspergillus niger CAZymes is determined by compositional changes in wheat straw generated by hydrothermal or ionic liquid pretreatments. Biotechnol Biofuels 10:35. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13068-017-0700-9 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.de Souza WR, Maitan-Alfenas GP, de Gouvêa PF, Brown NA, Savoldi M, Battaglia E, Goldman MHS, de Vries RP, Goldman GH (2013) The influence of Aspergillus niger transcription factors AraR and XlnR in the gene expression during growth in d-xylose, l-arabinose and steam-exploded sugarcane bagasse. Fungal Genet Biol 60:29–45CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Gomes HAR, da Silva AJ, Gómez-Mendoza DP, dos Santos Júnior ACM, di Cologna NDM, Almeida RM, Miller RNG, Fontes W, de Sousa MV, Ricart CAO, Filho EXF (2017) Identification of multienzymatic complexes in the Clonostachys byssicola secretomes produced in response to different lignocellulosic carbon sources. J Biotechnol 254:51–58CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Sluiter A, Hames B, Ruiz R, Scarlata C, Sluiter J, Templeton D (2006) Determination of sugars, byproducts, and degradation products in liquid fraction process samples. NREL Laboratory Analytical Procedure NREL/TP-510-42623. National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, COGoogle Scholar
- 26.Sluiter A, Hames B, Ruiz R, Scarlata C, Sluiter J, Templeton D, Crocker D (2005) Determination of extractives in biomass. NREL Laboratory Analytical Procedure NREL/TP-510-42619. National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, COGoogle Scholar
- 27.Sluiter A, Hames B, Ruiz R, Scarlata C, Sluiter J, Templeton D, Crocker D (2008) Determination of structural carbohydrates and lignin in biomass. NREL Laboratory Analytical Procedure NREL/TP-510-42618. National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, COGoogle Scholar
- 28.Souza WR, Maitan-Alfenas GP, Gouvêa PF, Brown NA, Savoldi M, Battaglia E (2013) The influence of Aspergillus niger transcription factors AraR and XlnR in the gene expression during growth in d-xylose, l-arabinose and steam-exploded sugarcane bagasse. Fungal Genet Biol. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fgb.2013.07.007 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar