What Can Pinterest Do for Radiology?
The rapid growth of social media over the last decade soon convinced businesses including medical practices and academic medical centers to enter the social media fray—for profit, education, and expanding access. Launched in 2010, Pinterest (San Francisco, CA, USA) differed from many of the established social media platforms by presenting collection and curation features based on the sharing of images rather than text. Thus, Pinterest allows users to categorize website links using photos, GIFs, and videos, and catalog them for future consideration, saved on a virtual folder or “pinboard.” Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are text-heavy social media platforms that do not allow for significant curating activities. Instagram, the other of the two primary photo-oriented social media giants, was launched the same year as Pinterest. Owned by Facebook, Instagram caters to a more personal experience and mostly relies on mobile technology. Because Pinterest users are mainly focused on finding and collecting other users’ content, Pinterest is thought to generate website traffic and is more conducive to use on larger screens. It further distinguishes itself by encouraging appreciation/learning over self-promotion and its range of categories exceeds that of other such sites. Some of the more visually oriented medical specialties (i.e., dermatology, plastic surgery, and radiology) have begun to consider what role, if any, the popular site Pinterest, with more than 250 million monthly users, might play in disseminating healthy messages, reaching patients, and contributing to medical education. We investigated how Pinterest could work for our radiology education mission and then decided to establish a presence on the site to ascertain if creating our own board would have any practical benefits.
KeywordsPinterest Pins Boards CTisus Impressions Engagements Link clicks Saves Repins
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Ottoni R, Pesce JP, Las Casas D, Franciscani G, Kumaruguru P, Almeida V: Ladies first: Analyzing gender roles and behaviors in pinterest. Proceedings of ICWSM, 2013Google Scholar
- 2.Hall C, Zarro M: Social Curation on the Website Pinterest.com. Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 49(1):1–9, 2012Google Scholar
- 5.Aslam S. Pinterest by the Numbers: Stats, Demographics & Fun Facts. Omnicore Agency. Updated January 6, 2019. Website: https://www.omnicoreagency.com/pinterest-statistics/. Accessed January 25, 2019.
- 6.Park SE, Tang L, Bie B, Zhi D: All pins are not created equal: communicating skin cancer visually on Pinterest. Transl Behav Med. 17, 2018 AprGoogle Scholar
- 7.Banerjee SC, Rodríguez VM, Greene K, Hay JL: Trending on Pinterest: an examination of pins about skin tanning. Transl Behav Med 10, 2018 AprGoogle Scholar
- 9.Smith C. 275 Amazing Pinterest statistics, demographics and facts (December 2018). DMR. Website: https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/pinterest-stats/#.WeDuZyiWz5o. Accessed January 24, 2019.
- 10.Chang S, Kumar V, Gilbert E, Terveen L. Specialization, homophily, and gender in a social curation site: Findings from pinterest. In Proceedings of The 17th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing, CSCW’14, 2014.Google Scholar
- 11.Gilbert E, Bakhshi S, Chang S, Terveen L. ‘I need to try this!’: A statistical overview of pinterest. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), 2013.Google Scholar
- 12.Whitsitt J, Mattis D, Hernandez M, Kollipara R, Dellavalle RP: Dermatology on pinterest. Dermatol Online J 15(21):1, 2015 JanGoogle Scholar
- 14.Nayyar A, Jadi J, Garimella R, Elkins-Williams ST, Gallagher KK, Kalliainen LK et al.: Are you on the right platform? A conjoint analysis of social media preferences in aesthetic surgery patients. Aesthet Surg J. 13, 2018 SepGoogle Scholar
- 19.Smith A, Anderson M. Social Media Use in 2018. Pew Research Center. March 1, 2018. http://www.pewinternet.org/2018/03/01/social-media-use-in-2018/. Accessed Jan. 22, 2019.
- 20.Yahoo Finance NYSE – Nasdaq Real Time Price. https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/PINS?p=PINS&.tsrc=fin-srch. Accessed June 5, 2019.