A heterogeneous agent model of asset price dynamics with two time delays
This study constructs a heterogeneous agents model of a financial market in a continuous-time framework. There are two types of agents, fundamentalists and chartists. The former follows the traditional efficiency market theory and has a linear demand function, whereas the latter experiences delays in the formation of price trends and possesses a S-shaped demand function. The main feature of this study is a theoretical investigation on the effects caused by two time delays in a price adjustment process. In particular, two main results are demonstrated: One is that the stability switching curves are analytically derived, and the other is that the stability losses and gains can repeatedly occur when the shape of the curves are meandering. Although it is well known that a time delay has a destabilizing effect, these results imply that multiple delays can stabilize and destabilize a market price generating persistent deviations from the stationary price.
Keywordsasset price henerogeneous agent model two time delays bifurcation dynamic model
JEL ClassificationC62 E32 G12
Funding was provided by Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (Grant No. 16K03556), MEXT supported program for the strateguc research foundation at private universities 2013–2017, Joint Research Grant Chuo University.
- Dieci, R., He, X.-Z.: Heterogeneous Agents Models in Finance. Research Paper 389. Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology Sydney (2018)Google Scholar
- Dobrescu, L., Neamtu, M., Mircea, G.: Asset price dynamics in a chartist–fundamentalist model with time delays: a bifurcation analysis. Discrete Dyn. Nat. Soc. (2016), Article ID 4907468. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/4907468
- Flache, A.: The Double Edge of Networks: An Analysis of the Effect of Informal Networks on Cooperation in Social Dilemmas. Thela Thesis Publishers, Utrecht (1998). (in Dutch) Google Scholar
- Hommes, C.: Heterogeneous agent models in economics and finance. In: Tesfatsion, L., Judd, K.L. (eds.) Handbook of Computational Economics, vol. 2, pp. 1109–1186. North-Holland, Amsterdam (2006)Google Scholar
- Matsumoto, A., Szidarovszky, F.: Heterogeneous Agent Model of Asset Price with Time Delays. IERCU DP no. 247, Institute of Economic Research, Chuo University (2015)Google Scholar
- Matsumoto, A., Szidarovszky, F.: A heterogeneous agent model of asset price with three time delays. Front. Appl. Math. Stat. (2016) https://doi.org/10.33891/fams.2016.00015
- Qu, Y., Wei, J.: Global Hopf Bifurcation Analysis for a Time-Delayed Model of Asset Prices. Discrete Dyn. Nat. Soc. (2010), Article ID 432821. https://doi.org/10.1155/2010/432821
- ter Ellen, S., Verschoor, F.C.: Heterogeneous Beliefs and Asset Price Dynamics: A Survey of Recent Evidence. Working Paper 22, Norges Bank (2017)Google Scholar
- Yao, H., Jiang, Z., Huang, J.: The stability analysis in a continuous-time financial market model with delay. Int. J. Bus. Manag. Econ. Res. 3, 516–521 (2012)Google Scholar