Misleading CT perfusion in subacute ischemic stroke
- 70 Downloads
The RAPID© software is the most commonly used computed tomography perfusion (CTP) software in stroke centers. It is estimated that about 1300 hospitals in the world are using this software for decision-making in ischemic stroke. The software provides the estimated volume of infarction and ischemic penumbra, so it is the backbone of treatment planning in these patients. In this manuscript, we present two cases of subacute infarction with misleading CTP using RAPID© software. We believe that given the popularity of this software and increasing application of CTP in subacute infarction, this pitfall is likely underdiagnosed in many patients. In a subacute phase of infarction, we recommend diffusion-weighted imaging magnetic resonance imaging (DWI-MRI) for estimation of infarction to avoid this pitfall and possible mismanagement.
KeywordsComputed tomography perfusion Ischemic stroke Software
HS, OS, and ES contributed to the conception and design of the study. HS organized the database. HS, OS, and ES wrote the first draft of the manuscript. All authors contributed to manuscript revision and read and approved the submitted version.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Benjamin EJ, Blaha MJ, Chiuve SE, Cushman M, Das SR, Deo R, de Ferranti SD, Floyd J, Fornage M, Gillespie C, Isasi CR, Jimenez MC, Jordan LC, Judd SE, Lackland D, Lichtman JH, Lisabeth L, Liu S, Longenecker CT, Mackey RH, Matsushita K, Mozaffarian D, Mussolino ME, Nasir K, Neumar RW, Palaniappan L, Pandey DK, Thiagarajan RR, Reeves MJ, Ritchey M, Rodriguez CJ, Roth GA, Rosamond WD, Sasson C, Towfighi A, Tsao CW, Turner MB, Virani SS, Voeks JH, Willey JZ, Wilkins JT, Wu JH, Alger HM, Wong SS, Muntner P, American Heart Association Statistics C, Stroke Statistics S (2017) Heart disease and stroke statistics-2017 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation 135(10):e146–e603. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000485 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Stroke Facts. https://www.cdc.gov/stroke/facts.htm
- 4.Clinical Mismatch in the Triage of Wake Up and Late Presenting Strokes Undergoing Neurointervention With Trevo (DAWN). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02142283
- 5.Endovascular Therapy Following Imaging Evaluation for Ischemic Stroke 3 (DEFUSE 3). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02586415
- 6.Powers WJ, Rabinstein AA, Ackerson T, Adeoye OM, Bambakidis NC, Becker K, Biller J, Brown M, Demaerschalk BM, Hoh B, Jauch EC, Kidwell CS, Leslie-Mazwi TM, Ovbiagele B, Scott PA, Sheth KN, Southerland AM, Summers DV, Tirschwell DL, American Heart Association Stroke C (2018) 2018 guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke 49(3):e46–e110. https://doi.org/10.1161/STR.0000000000000158 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Sotoudeh H, Bag AK, Brooks MD (2019) “Code-stroke” CT perfusion; challenges and pitfalls. Acad Radiol. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2018.12.013
- 8.RAPID. http://www.i-rapid.com/home
- 16.Copen WA, Yoo AJ, Rost NS, Morais LT, Schaefer PW, Gonzalez RG, Wu O (2017) In patients with suspected acute stroke, CT perfusion-based cerebral blood flow maps cannot substitute for DWI in measuring the ischemic core. PLoS One 12(11):e0188891. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0188891 CrossRefGoogle Scholar