MiR-6872 host gene SEMA3B and its antisense lncRNA SEMA3B-AS1 function synergistically to suppress gastric cardia adenocarcinoma progression
- 219 Downloads
Semaphorin 3B (SEMA3B) is frequently inactivated in several carcinomas. However, as the host gene of miR-6872, the roles of SEMA3B, antisense lncRNA SEMA3B-AS1, and miR-6872 in gastric cardia adenocarcinoma (GCA) tumorigenesis have not been clarified.
The expression levels of SEMA3B, SEMA3B-AS1, and miR-6872 were respectively detected by qRT-PCR, western blot, or immunohistochemical staining assays. The methylation status was determined by BGS and BS-MSP methods. In vitro assays were preformed to explore the biological effects of SEMA3B, SEMA3B-AS1, and miR-6872-5p in gastric cancer cells. Chromatin immunoprecipitation assay was used to detect the binding of protein to DNA. The interaction of SEMA3B-AS1 with MLL4 was identified by RNA immunoprecipitation and RNA pull-down assays.
Frequent downregulation of SEMA3B, SEMA3B-AS1, and miR-6872 was detected in GCA tissues and gastric cancer cells. Aberrant hypermethylation of the promoter region was more tumor specific and was negatively correlated with the expression level of SEMA3B, SEMA3B-AS1, and miR-6872-5p. Transcription factor Sp1 activated SEMA3B or SEMA3B-AS1 transcription and CpG sites hypermethylation within promoter region eliminated Sp1 binding ability. Overexpression of SEMA3B and SEMA3B-AS1 inhibited gastric cancer cell proliferation, migration, and invasion in vitro. SEMA3B-AS1 induced the expression of SEMA3B by interacting with MLL4. ZNF143 might be the target gene of miR-6872-5p and miR-6872-5p functioning synergistically with SEMA3B to suppress cell invasion. Furthermore, SEMA3B, SEMA3B-AS1, and miR-6872-5p expression levels were associated with GCA patients’ survival.
SEMA3B, SEMA3B-AS1, and miR-6872 may act as tumor suppressors and may serve as potential targets for antitumor therapy.
KeywordsSEMA3B SEMA3B-AS1 MiR-6872 Gastric cardia adenocarcinoma Expression
This study was supported by Grants from the National Natural Science Foundation (Nos. 81472335, 81572441, 81772612), Natural Science Foundation of Hebei Province (Nos. H2015206196 and H2015206420).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
The study was approved by the Ethics Committee of the Fourth Hospital, Hebei Medical University.
Informed consent was obtained from all participants included in the study.
- 1.Vial M, Grande L, Pera M. Epidemiology of adenocarcinoma of the esophagus, gastric cardia, and uppergastric third. Recent Results Cancer Res. 2010;182:1–17.Google Scholar
- 6.Wistuba II, Behrens C, Virmani AK, Mele G, Milchgrub S, Girard L, et al. High resolution chromosome 3p allelotyping of human lung cancer and preneoplastic/preinvasive bronchial epithelium reveals multiple, discontinuous sites of 3p allele loss and three regions of frequent breakpoints. Cancer Res. 2000;60:1949–60.Google Scholar
- 7.Lerman MI, Minna JD. The 630-kb lung cancer homozygous deletion region on human chromosome 3p21.3: identification and evaluation of the resident candidate tumor suppressor genes. The international lung cancer chromosome 3p21.3 Tumor Suppressor Gene Consortium. Cancer Res. 2000;60:6116–33.Google Scholar
- 8.Chen J, Brevet A, Blanquet S, Plateau P. Control of 5′,5′-dinucleoside triphosphate catabolism by APH1, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae analog of human FHIT. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:2345–9.Google Scholar
- 19.Kuroki T, Trapasso F, Yendamuri S, Matsuyama A, Alder H, Williams NN, et al. Allelic loss on chromosome 3p21.3 and promoter hypermethylation of semaphorin 3B in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Res. 2003;63:3352–5.Google Scholar
- 31.Loginov VI, Khodyrev DS, Pronina IV, Maliukova AV, Kazubskaia TP, Ermilova VD, et al. Two CpG-islands of SEMA3B gene: methylation in clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Mol Biol (Mosk). 2009;43:1088–92.Google Scholar
- 33.Ananthanarayanan M, Li Y, Surapureddi S, Balasubramaniyan N, Ahn J, Goldstein JA, et al. Histone H3K4 trimethylation by MLL3 as part of ASCOM complex is critical for NR activation of bile acid transporter genes and is downregulated in cholestasis. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2011;300:G771–81.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Tse C, Xiang RH, Bracht T, Naylor SL. Human Semaphorin 3B (SEMA3B) located at chromosome 3p21.3 suppresses tumor formation in an adenocarcinoma cell line. Cancer Res. 2002;62:542–6.Google Scholar