Adjunctive antimicrobial photodynamic therapy using methylene blue/ethanol formulation in experimental periodontitis in diabetic rats: short-term results
- 171 Downloads
The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of an MB experimental formulation (ethanol 20%) in aPDT used as an adjuvant to scaling and root planing (SRP) in the periodontal treatment of diabetic rats. Forty male Wistar rats received streptozotocin-intraperitonial injections to induce diabetes. After 14 days, 5 animals were allocated in the non-ligate group (NLG), and 35 animals received ligature at the first right mandibular molar to induce periodontitis. After 7 days, the ligature was removed and the animals were randomized into 4 groups: LG (without treatment, n = 5), SRPG (SRP, n = 10), aPDTW (SRP+aPDT-MB/water, n = 10), and aPDTEt (SRP + aPDT-MB/water/ethanol/carboxymethylcellulose, n = 10). Animals were euthanized after 7 days. Data of bone loss (BL) area, degree of inflammatory cell response, and collagen fibers percentages were statistically analyzed (p < 0.05). Percentage of animals that presented mild and severe inflammatory infiltrate was 10% and 40% for SRPG, 20% and 30% for aPDTW, and 50% and 0% for aPDTEt, respectively. BL area (mm2) was statistically higher in the LG (0.39 ± 0.15) than NLG (0.05 ± 0.02). aPDTEt showed the lowest value of BL (0.08 ± 0.03), followed by aPDTW (0.21 ± 0.15) and SRPG (0.31 ± 0.18). Statistical differences were verified between aPDTEt and SRPG. In relation to the LG, aPDTEt, aPDTW, and SRPG recovered the equivalent 80%, 46%, and 20% of the BL. aPDTEt showed collagen content statistically higher than SRPG and LG, and presented higher mean values than NLG (p > 0.05). Our findings showed aPDTEt presented promising results. aPDT using MB/ethanol can have potential as an adjunctive periodontal treatment in diabetics.
KeywordsAlveolar bone loss Periodontal disease Root planing Phototherapy
This study was supported by the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel (CAPES).
Compliance with ethical standards
The study protocol was approved by Committee on Animal Research of the Federal University of Santa Maria, Brazil (027/2013).
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.(2015) IDF Diabetes Atlas, 7th edn. https://www.idf.org/e-library/epidemiology-research/diabetes-atlas/13-diabetes-atlas-seventh-edition.html
- 6.Knight ET, Liu J, Gregory JS, Faggion Jr CM, Cullinan MP (2016) Risk factors that may modify the innate and adaptive immune responses in periodontal diseases. Periodontol 2000 71:22–51. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/prd.12110
- 11.Garcia VG, Gualberto Júnior EC, Fernandes LA, Bosco AF, Hitomi Nagata MJ, Casatti CA, Ervolino E, Theodoro LH (2013) Adjunctive antimicrobial photodynamic treatment of experimentally induced periodontitis in rats with ovariectomy. J Periodontol 84:556–565. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2012.120163 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Garcia VG, Longo M, Gualberto Júnior EC, Bosco AF, Nagata MJ, Ervolino E, Theodoro LH (2014) Effect of the concentration of phenothiazine photosensitizers in antimicrobial photodynamic therapy on bone loss and the immune inflammatory response of induced periodontitis in rats. J Periodontal Res 49:584–594. https://doi.org/10.1111/jre.12138 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Theodoro LH, Caiado RC, Longo M, Novaes VC, Zanini NA, Ervolino E, de Almeida JM, Garcia VG (2015) Effectiveness of the diode laser in the treatment of ligature-induced periodontitis in rats: a histopathological, histometric, and immunohistochemical study. Lasers Med Sci 30:1209–1218. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-014-1575-7 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Gualberto EC Jr, Theodoro LH, Longo M, Novaes VC, Nagata MJ, Ervolino E, Garcia VC (2016) Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy minimizes the deleterious effect of nicotine in female rats with induced periodontitis. Lasers Med Sci 31:83–94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-015-1820-8 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Macedo Gde O, Novaes AB Jr, Souza SL, Taba M Jr, Palioto DB, Grisi MF (2014) Additional effects of aPDT on nonsurgical periodontal treatment with doxycycline in type II diabetes: a randomized, controlled clinical trial. Lasers Med Sci 29:881–886. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-013-1285-6 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Queiroz AC, Suaid FA, de Andrade PF, Oliveira FS, Novaes AB Jr, Taba M Jr, Palioto DB, Grisi MF, Souza SL (2015) Adjunctive effect of antimicrobial photodynamic therapy to nonsurgical periodontal treatment in smokers: a randomized clinical trial. Lasers Med Sci 30:617–625. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-013-1379-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Ramos UD, Ayub LG, Reino DM, Grise MF, Taba M Jr, Souza SL, Palioto DB, Novaes AB Jr (2016) Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy as an alternative to systemic antibiotics: results from a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical study on type 2 diabetics. J Clin Periodontol 43:147–155. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpe.12498 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Chang PC, Chien LY, Yeo JF, Wang YP, Chung MC, Kuo MY, Chen CH, Chiang HC, Ng BN, Lee QQ, Phay YK, Ng JR, Erk KY (2013) Progression of periodontal destruction and the roles of advanced glycation end products in experimental diabetes. J Periodontol 84:379–388. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2012.120076 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Nishikawa T, Naruse K, Kobayashi Y, Miyajima S, Mizutani M, Kikuchi T, Soboku K, Nakamura N, Sokabe A, Tosaki T, Hata M, Ohno N, Noguchi T, Matsubara T (2012) Involvement of nitrosative stress in experimental periodontitis in diabetic rats. J Clin Periodontol 39:342–349. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2011.01848.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Branco-de-Almeida LS, Franco GC, Castro ML, Dos Santos JC, Anbinder AL, Cortelli SC, Kajiya M, Kawai T, Rosalen PL (2012) Fluoxetine inhibits inflammatory response and bone loss in a rat model of ligature-induced periodontitis. J Periodontol 83:664–671. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2011.110370 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Castro ML, Franco GCN, Branco-de-Almeida LS, Anbinder AL, Cogo-Muller K, Cortelli SC, Duarta S, Saxena D, Rosalen PL (2016) Downregulation of proteinase-activated receptor-2, interleukin-17, and other proinflammatory genes by subantimicrobial doxycycline dose in a rat periodontitis model. J Periodontol 87:203–210. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2015.150385 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Lim W, Choi H, Kim J, Kim S, Jeon S, Zheng H, Kim D, Ko Y, Kim D, Sohn H, Kim O (2015) Anti-inflammatory effect of 635 nm irradiations on in vitro direct/indirect irradiation model. J Oral Pathol Med (2):94–102. https://doi.org/10.1111/jop.12204
- 36.Shimizu N, Yamaguchi M, Goseki T, Shibata Y, Takiguchi H, Iwasawa T, Abiko Y (1995) Inhibition of prostaglandin E2 and interleukin 1-beta production by low-power laser irradiation in stretched human periodontal ligament cells. J Dent Res 74:1382–1388. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345950740071001 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Reenstra WR, Veves A, Orlow D (2001) Decrease proliferation and cellular signaling in primary dermal fibroblast derived from diabetics versus non diabetic sibling controls. Acad Emerg Med 8:519Google Scholar