High-performance liquid chromatography and gas chromatography to set the analysis method of stearoyl lactylate, a food emulsifier
- 5 Downloads
Stearoyl lactylates (SLs, E481/E482) and their sodium and calcium salts are emulsifiers commonly used as food additives. This study was performed to set the analytical method of SLs in Korea using high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and gas chromatography (GC). A new HPLC method using C18 column with water and methanol as the eluents, and a new GC method using DB-1 column with He as the carrier gas, were developed and were compared with previously reported analytical methods. The new HPLC and GC methods indicated a coefficient of determination (r2) of 0.999 in the calibration curves. The detection and quantification limits are 0.26 and 0.78 μg/kg for the HPLC method, respectively, and 16.54 and 50.12 μg/kg for the GC method, respectively. The new HPLC and GC methods indicated precision of 0–2.0%, and accuracy of 92.7–108.5%. Therefore, they can be applied in numerous food samples to determine the level of SLs.
KeywordsStearoyl lactylates High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) analysis Gas chromatography-flame ionization detector analysis Sodium stearoyl lactylate Calcium stearoyl lactylate
This research was supported by a Grant (17162MFDS021) from the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety in 2017. This research was also supported by the Chung-Ang University Graduate Research Scholarship in 2017.
- AOAC Peer Verified Methods Advisory Committee. AOAC peer verified methods program. Manual on policies and procedures. AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MD, USA pp. 1–35 (1998)Google Scholar
- CODEX Alimentarius. GSFA online, food additive group details. Available from: http://www.fao.org/gsfaonline/groups/details.html?id=95 Accessed Dec. 20, 2018.
- De Stefanis VA, Ponte JG, Jr. Chung FH, Ruzza NA. Binding of crumb softeners and dough strengtheners during breadmaking. AACC Int. Cereal Chem. 54: 13–24 (1977)Google Scholar
- EFSA ANS Panel (EFSA Panel on Food Additives and Nutrient Sources added to Food (ANS)). Scientific opinion on the re-evaluation of sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate (E 481) and calcium stearoyl-2-lactylate (E 482) as food additives. EFSA J. 11: 3144 (2013)Google Scholar
- European Commission. Commission regulation (EU) no 257/2010 of 25 March 2010 setting up a programme for the re-evaluation of approved food additives in accordance with regulation (EC) no. 1333/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council on Food Additives. Official Journal of the European Union, L 80/19 (2010)Google Scholar
- European Commission (EC). Guidance document on analytical quality control and method validation procedures for pesticide residues and analysis in food and feed. Supersedes Document No. SANTE/11945/2015 (2017)Google Scholar
- FDA (Food and Drug Administration). Guidance for industry: Q2B validation of analytical procedures: methodology. Rockville, MD, USA (1996)Google Scholar
- FSA (Food Standards Agency). Development of methods for the determination of emulsifiers and polyphosphates in foods. FSA Project (2004)Google Scholar
- JECFA. Toxicological evaluation of some food additives including anticaking agents, antimicrobials, antioxidants, emulsifiers and thickening agents 539. Stearoyl Lactylic Acid, Calcium and Sodium Salts. Series 5. Wld Hlth Org. (1974)Google Scholar
- Mikawa T, Kubota H, Ozeki Y, Yoshida M, Nakanishi T, Sato K, Akiyama H. Determination of sodium stearoyl lactylates in foods using HPLC after derivatization with 2-nitrophenyl hydrazine. Jpn. J. Food Chem. Saf. 19: 178–184 (2012)Google Scholar
- National Health and Family Planning Commission (NHFPC). Chinese Standards for Food Additives – GB2760-2014. Available online: http://www.jlfsstd.net/db/files/Std4_7673135842462310.pdf (2018).
- Taverniers I, Loose M, Bockstaele EV. Trends in quality in the analytical laboratory. II. Analytical method validation and quality assurance. Trends Analyt. Chem. 23: 535–552 (2004)Google Scholar
- The Japan Food Chemical Research Foundation (JFCRF). Standards for use of food additives. Standards for use, according to use categories. Available online: https://www.ffcr.or.jp/en/upload/90a214f8b8b1b90ec5acff9db0a39c194d8df7ae.pdf (2018)
- Wheeler EL. Quantitative determination of sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate in soy-fortified wheat-flour blends. AACC Int. Cereal Chem. 56: 236–239 (1979)Google Scholar
- WHO Expert Committee on Specifications for Pharmaceutical Preparations, & World Health Organization. WHO Expert Committee on Specifications for Pharmaceutical Preparations (1993)Google Scholar
- WHO Food Additives Series, No. 1. Fifteenth report of the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives, World Health Organization (1972)Google Scholar
- Yukawa M, Hanada J. Determination of calcium stearoyl lactate in bread. Yukagaku 31: 958–959 (1982)Google Scholar