Effects of oleaster flour supplementation in total phenolic contents, antioxidant capacities and their bioaccessibilities of cookies
- 21 Downloads
In presented study total phenolic contents, antioxidant capacities and their bioaccessibilities from cookies supplemented with oleaster flour were investigated. Oleaster flours (OFs) were produced using two different methods (peeled oleaster flour: POF and unpeeled oleaster flour: UPOF) from two different genotypes. OFs were used to replace wheat flour in the cookie formulation (control) at the levels of 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25% (w/w). According to the results, enrichment of OFs clearly increased total phenolic contents, antioxidant capacities and bioaccessibilities of cookies. The highest bioaccessible antioxidant capacities (ABTS, CUPRAC, and FRAP) of the samples were obtained from cookie samples enriched with 25% UPOF-1. In conclusion, the increases in phenolic contents, antioxidant capacities, and bioaccessibilities from cookies supplemented with OFs suggest the potential enhancement of beneficial health effect of cookie due to increased content of bioactive compounds present in oleaster flour.
KeywordsOleaster flour Cookie Bakery Fortification Antioxidant capacity
The authors would like to thank The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK) for their financial support to this research project (Project No: TOVAG 110 O 060).
- AACCI. Official methods of American Association of Cereal Chemists International, MN, USA (2000)Google Scholar
- Bailey LH, Bailey EZ, Hortus Third: A Concise Dictionary of Plants Cultivated in the United States and Canada, Macmillan, New York (1976)Google Scholar
- Hamidpour R, Hamidpour S, Hamidpour M, Shahlari M, Sohraby M, Shahlari N, Hamidpour R. Russian olive (Elaeagnus angustifolia L): From a variety of traditional medicinal applications to its novel roles as active antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-mutagenic and analgesic agent. J. Tradit. Complement. Med. 7: 24–29 (2017)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sahan Y, Dundar AN, Aydin E, Kilci A, Dulger D, Kaplan FB, Gocmen D, Celik G. Characteristics of cookies supplemented with oleaster (Elaeagnus angustifolia L.) Flour. I physicochemical, sensorial and textural properties. J. Agric. Sci. 5: 160–168 (2013)Google Scholar
- Sahan Y, Gocmen D, Cansev A, Celik G, Aydin E, Dundar AN, Dulger D, Kaplan HB, Kilci A, Gucer S. Chemical and techno-functional properties of flours from peeled and unpeeled oleaster (Elaeagnus angustifolia L.). J. Appl. Bot. Food Qual. 88: 34–41 (2015)Google Scholar
- Sharma SK, Singh L, Singh S. A review on medicinal plants having antioxidant potential. Indian J. Res. Pharm. Biotechnol. 1: 395–404 (2013)Google Scholar
- Turksoy S, Keskin S, Ozkay B, Ozkaya H. Effect of black carrot (Daucus carota L. ssp sativus var. atrorubens Alef.) fiber addition on the composition and quality characteristics of cookies. J. Food Agric. Environ. 9: 57–60 (2011)Google Scholar