Antioxidant activity and contents of leaf extracts obtained from Dendropanax morbifera LEV are dependent on the collecting season and extraction conditions
- 95 Downloads
This study compared the antioxidant activity of extracts from Dendropanax morbifera (D. morbifera) Levillis leaves. The concentrations of flavonoids and polyphenols were measured in extracts of D. morbifera leaves. The antioxidant activities were examined by ABTS and DPPH radical scavenging activity and ferric reducing antioxidant power (FRAP). Total flavonoid and polyphenol contents, and FRAP were highest in the 30% ethanol extract collected in May. The ABTS and DPPH radical scavenging activities were the highest in the 60% ethanol extract harvested in May. For investigating the relationship between antioxidant activity and specific polyphenols, rutin and chlorogenic acid of the polyphenol component were quantified by LC–MS/MS analysis. The concentrations of them were highest in the 60% ethanol extract collected in May, and showed positive correlations with antioxidant activities. The optimal extraction conditions to yield the most effective antioxidant activity were obtained using a 60% ethanol extraction solvent with samples collected in May.
KeywordsAntioxidant activity Chlorogenic acid Dendropanax morbifera Flavonoids Rutin
The results have been undertaken with the support from the Agency for Jeju Plant Resources Dendropanax.
- 3.Moniczewski A, Gawlik M, Smaga I, Niedzielska E, Krzek J, Przegalinski E, Pera J, Filip M (2015) Oxidative stress as an etiological factor and a potential treatment target of psychiatric disorders. Part 1. Chemical aspects and biological sources of oxidative stress in the brain. Pharmacol Rep 67:560–568CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Perez-Cornago A, Lopez-Legarrea P, de la Iglesia R, Lahortiga F, Martinez JA, Zulet MA (2014) Longitudinal relationship of diet and oxidative stress with depressive symptoms in patients with metabolic syndrome after following a weight loss treatment: the RESMENA project. Clin Nutr 33:1061–1067CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Kim W, Kim DW, Yoo DY, Jung HY, Nam SM, Kim JW, Hong SM, Kim DW, Choi JH, Moon SM, Yoon YS, Hwang IK (2014) Dendropanax morbifera Leveille extract facilitates cadmium excretion and prevents oxidative damage in the hippocampus by increasing antioxidant levels in cadmium-exposed rats. BMC Complement Altern Med 14:428CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Chen TS, Liou SY, Wu HC, Tsai FJ, Tsai CH, Huang CY, Chang YL (2010) New analytical method for investigating the antioxidant power of food extracts on the basis of their electron-donating ability: comparison to the ferric reducing/antioxidant power (FRAP) assay. J Agric Food Chem 58:8477–8480CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Hu W, Guo T, Jiang WJ, Dong GL, Chen DW, Yang SL, Li HR (2015) Effects of ultrahigh pressure extraction on yield and antioxidant activity of chlorogenic acid and cynaroside extracted from flower buds of Lonicera japonica. Chin J Nat Med 13:445–453Google Scholar