Altered expression of circular RNA in primary Sjögren’s syndrome
- 9 Downloads
This study evaluated expression of circRNA in primary Sjögren’s syndrome (pSS) patients so as to find novel biomarkers for pSS screening and discussed possible role of circRNA in pSS. We also evaluated expression profile of circRNA in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) patients.
Microarray analysis detected circRNA expression in PBMCs from five paired pSS, SLE patients, and controls. Then, differentially expressed circRNAs were validated in 30 pSS patients as compared to 30 SLE patients, healthy controls. CircRNAs interacting with miRNAs were discussed by Arraystar’s homemade miRNA target prediction software. ROC analysis assessed the diagnostic value.
We identified 234 differentially expressed circRNAs in pSS patients and verified five selected circRNAs (including hsa_circRNA_001264, hsa_circRNA_104121, hsa_circRNA_045355, hsa_circRNA_103461, hsa_circRNA_105034). Expression of hsa_circRNA_001264, hsa_circRNA_104121, and hsa_circRNA_045355 was strongly related to some clinical, laboratory parameters, and disease activity index in pSS patients. ROC analysis indicated potential diagnostic ability for the three circRNAs in pSS patients. One hundred and forty-eight circRNAs were differently expressed between lupus patients and controls.
• Many circRNAs were dysregulated in pSS patients.
• Differentially expressed circRNAs correlated with pSS clinical, laboratory features.
• CircRNAs may be biomarkers for pSS.
KeywordsAutoimmunity CircRNA Primary Sjögren’s syndrome
Body mass index
LS, WX, XL, LF, and AH designed this study. LS, WX, XL, LF, and AH collected data. LS, WX, LF, and AF did laboratory test and statistical analysis. LS, WX, LF, and AF wrote the paper.
This study was funded by Sichuan Provincial Science and Technology Program (2019YJ0540), the Key Project of Sichuan Education Department (17ZA0430).
Compliance with ethical standards
Statement on consent for publication
The whole authors permitted submission of the paper.
- 5.O'Connell RM, Rao DS, Baltimore D (2012) microRNA regulation of inflammatory responses. Annu Rev Immunol 30:295–312. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-immunol-020711-075013 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Vitali C, Bombardieri S, Jonsson R, Moutsopoulos HM, Alexander EL, Carsons SE, Daniels TE, Fox PC, Fox RI, Kassan SS, Pillemer SR, Talal N, Weisman MH (2002) Classification criteria for Sjögren’s syndrome: a revised version of the European criteria proposed by the American-European consensus group. Ann Rheum Dis 61:554–558. https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.61.6.554 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Vitali C, Palombi G, Baldini C, Benucci M, Bombardieri S, Covelli M, Del Papa N, De Vita S, Epis O, Franceschini F, Gerli R, Govoni M, Bongi SM, Maglione W, Migliaresi S, Montecucco C, Orefice M, Priori R, Tavoni A, Valesini G (2007) Sjögren’s syndrome disease damage index and disease activity index: scoring systems for the assessment of disease damage and disease activity in Sjögren's syndrome, derived from an analysis of a cohort of Italian patients. Arthritis Rheum 56:2223–2231. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.22658 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Barone F, Colafrancesco S (2016) Sjögren’s syndrome: from pathogenesis to novel therapeutic targets. Clin Exp Rheumatol 34:58–62Google Scholar
- 23.Carsons SE, Vivino FB, Parke A, Carteron N, Sankar V, Brasington R, Brennan MT, Ehlers W, Fox R, Scofield H, Hammitt KM, Birnbaum J, Kassan S, Mandel S (2017) Treatment guidelines for rheumatologic manifestations of Sjögren's syndrome: use of biologic agents, management of fatigue, and inflammatory musculoskeletal pain. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 69:517–527. https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.22968 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Li H, Li K, Lai W, Li X, Wang H, Yang J, Chu S, Wang H, Kang C, Qiu Y (2018) Comprehensive circular RNA profiles in plasma reveals that circular RNAs can be used as novel biomarkers for systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin Chim Acta 480:17–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2018.01.026 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Wang-Renault SF, Boudaoud S, Nocturne G, Roche E, Sigrist N, Daviaud C, Bugge Tinggaard A, Renault V, Deleuze JF, Mariette X, Tost J (2018) Deregulation of microRNA expression in purified T and B lymphocytes from patients with primary Sjögren’s syndrome. Ann Rheum Dis 77:133–140. https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2017-211417 CrossRefGoogle Scholar