Proposal for a simple algorithm to differentiate adult-onset Still’s disease with other fever of unknown origin causes: a longitudinal prospective study
- 54 Downloads
To identify several clinical and/or laboratory parameters which can differentiate adult-onset Still’s disease (AOSD) from other causes of fever of unknown origin (FUO) and create a clinician-friendly algorithm for this purpose.
FUO patients hospitalized between March 2015 and September 2017 were recruited prospectively. AOSD patients diagnosed between 2001 and 2017 in our department were analyzed. Clinical and laboratory parameters were recorded for all patients. A multivariate analysis was performed to identify possible parameters related to the discrimination of AOSD from FUO.
We recruited 69 AOSD patients (51 females, 74%) and 87 patients (43 females, 49.4%) evaluated for FUO. Median ages were 45 (30–57) and 45 (30–62), respectively. Arthralgia, rash, sore throat, neutrophilia, serum ferritin level higher than 5 times of the upper limit, and elevated lactate dehydrogenase levels were associated with the likelihood of diagnosing AOSD; on the other hand, the number of daily fever peaks equal or greater than 3 was associated with the unlikelihood of diagnosing AOSD. After the clinical feasibility assessment of possible parameters derived from the multivariate analysis, in the setting of fever, two clinical (arthralgia, sore throat) and two laboratory (ferritin level, neutrophilia) parameters were selected to develop an algorithm for discrimination of AOSD and FUO.
Presence of arthralgia, hyperferritinemia, sore throat, and neutrophilia suggests AOSD in patients presenting as FUO. This study proposes a clinician-friendly algorithm for the first time in current literature to discriminate AOSD from other causes of FUO.
KeywordsAdult-onset Still’s disease Fever of unknown origin Inflammation
Data presented in this article is derived from a part of the master thesis of Dr. Bilgin.
Compliance with ethical standards
Hacettepe University Ethical Committee approved the study prior to data collection (Approval number: GO 17/84-05). We obtained patients’ written consents prior to data collection.
- 3.Balci MA, Pamuk ON, Pamuk GE, Uzundere FK, Donmez S (2015) Epidemiology and outcome of adult-onset Still's disease in Northwestern Thrace region in Turkey. Clin Exp Rheumatol 33(6):818–823Google Scholar
- 4.Wakai K, Ohta A, Tamakoshi A, Ohno Y, Kawamura T, Aoki R, Kojima M, Lin Y, Hashimoto S, Inaba Y, Minowa M, Aizawa S, Ichikawa Y, Miyasaka N (1997) Estimated prevalence and incidence of adult Still’s disease: findings by a nationwide epidemiological survey in Japan. J Epidemiol 7(4):221–225. https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.7.221 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Pouchot J, Sampalis JS, Beaudet F, Carette S, Decary F, Salusinsky-Sternbach M, Hill RO, Gutkowski A, Harth M, Myhal D et al (1991) Adult Still's disease: manifestations, disease course, and outcome in 62 patients. Medicine (Baltimore) 70(2):118–136. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005792-199103000-00004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kalyoncu U, Solmaz D, Emmungil H, Yazici A, Kasifoglu T, Kimyon G, Balkarli A, Bes C, Ozmen M, Alibaz-Oner F, Erten S, Cagatay Y, Cetin GY, Yilmaz S, Yildiz F, Pamuk ON, Kucuksahin O, Kilic L, Yazisiz V, Karadag O, Koca SS, Hayran M, Akar S, Aksu K, Akkoc N, Keser G, Gonullu E, Kisacik B, Onat AM, Soy M, Inanc N, Direskeneli H, Sayarlioglu M, Erken E, Turgay M, Cefle A, Ertenli I, Pay S (2016) Response rate of initial conventional treatments, disease course, and related factors of patients with adult-onset Still’s disease: data from a large multicenter cohort. J Autoimmun 69:59–63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaut.2016.02.010 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Gerfaud-Valentin M, Cottin V, Jamilloux Y, Hot A, Gaillard-Coadon A, Durieu I, Broussolle C, Iwaz J, Seve P (2016) Parenchymal lung involvement in adult-onset Still disease: a STROBE-compliant case series and literature review. Medicine (Baltimore) 95(30):e4258. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000004258 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Yamaguchi M, Ohta A, Tsunematsu T, Kasukawa R, Mizushima Y, Kashiwagi H, Kashiwazaki S, Tanimoto K, Matsumoto Y, Ota T et al (1992) Preliminary criteria for classification of adult Still’s disease. J Rheumatol 19(3):424–430Google Scholar
- 10.Fautrel B, Le Moel G, Saint-Marcoux B, Taupin P, Vignes S, Rozenberg S, Koeger AC, Meyer O, Guillevin L, Piette JC, Bourgeois P (2001) Diagnostic value of ferritin and glycosylated ferritin in adult onset Still’s disease. J Rheumatol 28(2):322–329Google Scholar
- 11.Pizzo PA, Lovejoy FH Jr, Smith DH (1975) Prolonged fever in children: review of 100 cases. Pediatrics 55(4):468–473Google Scholar
- 12.Kucukardali Y, Oncul O, Cavuslu S, Danaci M, Calangu S, Erdem H, Topcu AW, Adibelli Z, Akova M, Karaali EA, Ozel AM, Bolaman Z, Caka B, Cetin B, Coban E, Karabay O, Karakoc C, Karan MA, Korkmaz S, Sahin GO, Pahsa A, Sirmatel F, Solmazgul E, Ozmen N, Tokatli I, Uzun C, Yakupoglu G, Besirbellioglu BA, Gul HC, Fever of Unknown Origin Study G (2008) The spectrum of diseases causing fever of unknown origin in Turkey: a multicenter study. Int J Infect Dis 12(1):71–79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2007.04.013 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Sipahi OR, Senol S, Arsu G, Pullukcu H, Tasbakan M, Yamazhan T, Arda B, Ulusoy S (2007) Pooled analysis of 857 published adult fever of unknown origin cases in Turkey between 1990-2006. Med Sci Monit 13(7):CR318–CR322Google Scholar
- 16.Naito T, Mizooka M, Mitsumoto F, Kanazawa K, Torikai K, Ohno S, Morita H, Ukimura A, Mishima N, Otsuka F, Ohyama Y, Nara N, Murakami K, Mashiba K, Akazawa K, Yamamoto K, Senda S, Yamanouchi M, Tazuma S, Hayashi J (2013) Diagnostic workup for fever of unknown origin: a multicenter collaborative retrospective study. BMJ Open 3(12):e003971. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2013-003971 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Gerfaud-Valentin M, Maucort-Boulch D, Hot A, Iwaz J, Ninet J, Durieu I, Broussolle C, Seve P (2014) Adult-onset still disease: manifestations, treatment, outcome, and prognostic factors in 57 patients. Medicine (Baltimore) 93(2):91–99. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000000021 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Ohta A, Yamaguchi M, Tsunematsu T, Kasukawa R, Mizushima H, Kashiwagi H, Kashiwazaki S, Tanimoto K, Matsumoto Y, Akizuki M et al (1990) Adult Still’s disease: a multicenter survey of Japanese patients. J Rheumatol 17(8):1058–1063Google Scholar
- 21.Ushiyama O, Ohta A, Suzuki N et al (1997) Diagnostic characteristics of serum ferritin level in adult Still’s disease [abstract]. Arthritis Rheumatol Suppl S264Google Scholar
- 23.Mitrovic S, Fautrel B (2017) New markers for adult-onset Still’s disease. Joint Bone Spine 85(3):285–293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbspin.2017.05.011