Improved accuracy in DFS pattern interpretation using a novel HEp-2 ELITE system
- 18 Downloads
Accurate interpretation of DFS70 (dense fine speckled 70) and mixed antinuclear antibodies (ANAs) patterns can be challenging using conventional HEp-2 immunofluorescence (IIF) method. We evaluated a novel HEp-2 IIF substrate (HEp-2 ELITE/DFS70-KO) composed of a mixture of engineered HEp-2 devoid of the DFS70 autoantigen and conventional HEp-2 cells. The study assessed the utility of the new substrate in ANA screening and its advantages.
One thousand and five consecutive routine samples sent for ANA screening were tested on both standard HEp-2 and the HEp-2 ELITE DFS70 KO substrates (ImmuGlo ANA HEp-2 and HEp-2 ELITE/DFS70-KO, Trinity Biotech, Buffalo, NY). Anti-DFS70 antibody specificity was additionally determined by immunoblot (IB). Clinical and serological data were included in the analysis of the overall impact of the novel HEp-2 substrate on DFS pattern interpretation.
Of the 22 cases suspected as positive for DFS pattern alone or in combination with homogeneous or speckled patterns on conventional HEp-2 cells, 17 were interpreted with a higher accuracy using the new HEp-2 ELITE method as positive for DFS70 (monospecific DFS70 (10), mixed DFS70 (7)), speckled (3), and DFS (2) patterns.
The new substrate was not only useful in deciphering unclear mixed ANA patterns but also highly sensitive in detecting DFS70 pattern in comparison to the DFS70 positivity obtained using IB.
KeywordsAnti-DFS70 Antinuclear antibodies Autoantibodies Autoimmune disease HEp2-cells
Compliance with ethical standards
- 1.American College of Rheumatology Position Statement (2011) Methodology of testing for antinuclear antibodies. www.rheumatology.org/practice/ana_position_stmt.pdf. Approved by Board of Directors: Aug 2011
- 3.Agmon-Levin N, Damoiseaux J, Kallenberg C, Sack U, Witte T, Herold M, Bossuyt X, Musset L, Cervera R, Plaza-Lopez A, Dias C, Sousa MJ, Radice A, Eriksson C, Hultgren O, Viander M, Khamashta M, Regenass S, Andrade LEC, Wiik A, Tincani A, Rönnelid J, Bloch DB, Fritzler MJ, Chan EKL, Garcia-de la Torre I, Konstantinov KN, Lahita R, Wilson M, Vainio O, Fabien N, Sinico RA, Meroni P, Shoenfeld Y (2014) International recommendations for the assessment of autoantibodies to cellular antigens referred to as anti-nuclear antibodies. Ann Rheum Dis 73:17–23CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Malyavantham KS, Suresh L (2018) Simultaneous distinction of Monospecific and mixed DFS70 patterns during ANA screening with a novel HEp-2 ELITE/DFS70 knockout substrate. J Vis Exp 131Google Scholar
- 13.Mariz HA, Sato EI, Barbosa SH, Rodrigues SH, Dellavance A, Andrade LE (2011) Pattern on the antinuclear antibody-HEp-2 test is a critical parameter for discriminating antinuclear antibody-positive healthy individuals and patients with autoimmune rheumatic diseases. Arthritis Rheum 63:191–200CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Shovman O, Gilburd B, Chayat C, Amital H, Langevitz P, Watad A, Guy A, Perez D, Azoulay D, Blank M, Segal Y, Bentow C, Mahler M, Shoenfeld Y (2018) Prevalence of anti-DFS70 antibodies in patients with and without systemic autoimmune rheumatic diseases. Clin Exp Rheumatol 36:121–126Google Scholar
- 22.Infantino M, Shovman O, Pérez D, Manfredi M, Grossi V, Benucci M et al (2018) Anti-DFS70 autoantibodies in undifferentiated connective tissue diseases subjects: what’s on the horizon? Rheumatology (Oxford). https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/key012