3D unsupervised modified spatial fuzzy c-means method for segmentation of 3D brain MR image
- 8 Downloads
This paper proposed a novel 3D unsupervised spatial fuzzy-based brain MRI volume segmentation technique in the presence of intensity inhomogeneity and noise. Instead of static masking, dynamic 3D masking has been proposed to measure the correlation among neighbors. The local membership function is defined based on the weighted correlation among neighbors. The local and global membership functions are combined to suppress the inhomogeneity and noise at the time of clustering. A weighted function is defined based on the 3D dynamic neighborhood to optimize the objective function in 3D space. In 2D slice-based MRI image segmentation techniques, the selection of the slice of interest is very important and it depends on the experience and skills of the expertise. As the proposed unsupervised method segments the 3D brain MRI volume as a whole, there is no need of such expertise. The detailed analysis of the results shows that the proposed unsupervised spatial fuzzy-based 3D brain MRI image segmentation technique is superior over the considered state-of-the-art methods in terms of cluster validation functions.
Keywords3D image segmentation 3D fuzzy c-means Brain MRI image Objective function Validation function
We acknowledge the University Grants Commission (UGC), Govt. of India, for providing necessary fund through the Maulana Azad National Fellowship for PhD (MANF-2014-15-MUS-WES-40715). We would also like to thank the editor and reviewers for their valuable suggestions toward the improvement in this paper.
- 2.Balafar MA, Ramli AR, Saripan MI, Mashohor S (2010) Review of brain MRI image segmentation methods. J Artif Intell 33:261–274Google Scholar
- 3.Pham DL, Xu C, Prince JL (1998) A survey of current methods in Medical Image Segmentation. Technical report JHU/ECE-99-01, Annual Review of Biomedical EngineeringGoogle Scholar
- 7.Adhikari SK, Sing JK, Basu DK, Nasipuri M (2015) A spatial fuzzy c-means algorithm with application to MRI image segmentation. ICAPR, Kolkata, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- 14.Mohamed NA, Ahmed MN, Farag AA (2001) Modified fuzzy C-means in medical image segmentation. Proc IEEE-EMBS 20:1377–1380Google Scholar
- 17.Kamarujjaman, Chakraborty S, Maitra M (2016) An unsupervised modified spatial fuzzy C-mean method for segmentation of brain MR image. In: 2016 International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI), Jaipur, 2016, pp 125–131Google Scholar
- 21.Yaun S, Ying W (2015) MR image segmentation algorithm based on non-local fuzzy c-means clustering. In: IEEE CCDC, ChinaGoogle Scholar
- 22.Kang M, Kim JM (2014) Fuzzy c-means clustering with spatially weighted information for medical image segmentation. In: CIMSIVP, IEEE Symposium, Orlando, FLGoogle Scholar
- 29.Ahmadvand A, Daliri MR (2014) Brain MR image segmentation methods and applications. OMICS J Radiol 3:e130Google Scholar