Elastic and collagen fibers discriminant analysis using H&E stained hyperspectral images
- 110 Downloads
Hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) stain is one of the most common specimen staining methods in pathology diagnosis due to the capability to show the morphological structure of tissue. However, the appearance of the specific component, i.e., elastic fibers might not be recognized easily because have similar color and pattern with ones of collagen fibers. To distinguish these two components, Verhoeff’s Van Gieson (EVG) staining method is commonly used. Nevertheless, procedures of EVG stain are more complex and expensive than H&E stain. In this study, we investigate the possibility to distinguish elastic and collagen fibers from H&E stained images by applying spectral image analysis based on hyperspectral images. With experiments, we measure the transmittance spectral of 61-band H&E stained hyperspectral image, which are converted into absorbance spectral of hematoxylin, eosin, and red blood cell. As many as 3000 sampling pixels both from RGB and hyperspectral images of HE stained specimens were trained using Linear Discriminant Analysis (LDA) to get a discriminant function to classify elastic and collagen components in H&E RGB and H&E hyperspectral images. We conducted verification based on leave-one-out cross-validation of six data sets for evaluation. The verification result both visually and quantitatively compared to EVG stained image shows that the usage of hyperspectral images performs better than RGB images.
KeywordsPathology Hyperspectral image Discriminant analysis Classification
This work is supported by Indonesia Endowment Fund for Education (LPDP) and Japan Society for The Promotion of Science (JSPS)—Indonesian Institute of Science (LIPI) Joint Research Program.
- 2.Lakiotaki, E., et al.: Vascular and Ductal Elastatic Change in Pancreatic Cancer, Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica et Immunologica Scandinavica. Wiley, New York (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Septiana, L., et al.: Staining Adjustment of Dye Amount to Clarify the Appearance of Fiber, Nuclei, and Cytoplasm in HE-stained Pathological Kidney Tissue Image, International Multidiciplinary Conference and Productivity and Sustainability. Ukrida Press, Jakarta (2017)Google Scholar
- 11.Yang, T.-Y., Chen. C.C.: Data visualization by PCA, LDA, and ICA. In: The Annual Conference on Engineering and Technology ACEAT-493, 4–6 November (2015)Google Scholar
- 14.StatSoft, Inc.: Electronic Statistics Textbook. StatSoft, Tulsa (2013). www.statsoft.com/textbook/. Accessed on 30 Nov 2018
- 15.MathWorks (2018). Statistic and machine learning toolbox: user’s guide (R2018b). https://www.mathworks.com/help/pdf_doc/stats/stats.pdf. Retrieved 30 Nov 2018