How should we cope with effective media?
- 102 Downloads
Effective optical constants such as an effective index are useful figures in analyzing and designing subwavelength optical elements. However, its definition and practical usage in everyday work are not always straightforward as expected, in particular in visible light frequencies. We compare several different approaches to the concept of effective media and discuss its practicality and problems associated.
KeywordsDiffractive optics Effective medium theory Subwavelength structures Metamaterials
The author is deeply indebted to Yuya Hino, currently with SUBARU Co., for his contribution at the early stage of this research as a postgraduate student in his laboratory of Ehime University.
- 4.Yariv, A., Yeh, P.: Optical waves in crystals, pp. 165–174. Wiley, New York (1984)Google Scholar
- 5.Veselago, V.G.: The electromagnetics of substances with simultaneously negative values of \(\epsilon\) and \(\mu\). Soviet Phys. Usp. 10(4), 509–514 (1968)Google Scholar
- 10.Arslanagić, S., Hansen, T.V., Mortensen, N.A., Gregersen, A.H., Sigmund, O., Ziolkowski, R.W., Breinbjerg, O.: A review of the scattering-parameter extraction method with clarification of ambiguity issues in relation to metamaterial homogenization. IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag. 55(2), 91–106 (2013)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Kuittinen, M., Turunen, J., Vahimaa, P.: Subwavelength-structured elements. In: Turunen, J., Wyrowski, F. (eds.) Diffractive optics for industrial and commercial applications, pp. 303–323. Akademie Verlag, Berlin (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Turunen, J.: Diffraction theory of microrelief gratings. In: Herzig, H.P. (ed.) Micro-Otics, pp. 31–52. Taylor & Francis, London (1997)Google Scholar
- 14.Li, L.: Fourier modal method. In: Popov, E. (ed.) Gratings: theory and numeric applications, pp. 537–578. Université d’Aix-Marseille, Marseille (2014)Google Scholar
- 18.Crystallographic data on minerals. In Lide, D. K. (ed.) CRC handbook of chemistry and physics, Internet Version 2005, http://www.hbcpnetbase.com, CRC Press, Boca Raton (2005)
- 20.Landau, L.D., Lifshitz, E.M.: Electrodynamics of continuous media, p. 274. Pergamon Press, Oxford (1984)Google Scholar
- 21.Interesting interpretation in simple diffraction gratings is recently reported in the following paper. Popov, E., Fehrembach, A.-L., Li, L.: Semi-phenomenological effective permittivity approach to metallic periodic structures. Opt. Exp. 26(10), 12813–12837 (2018)Google Scholar