Evolutionary design of high signal integrity interconnection based on eye-diagram
- 10 Downloads
Frequency of the digital signal in PCBs has remained at about 1 GHz, while that in VLSIs become more than several GHz. The frequency gap comes from signal integrity (SI) deterioration in PCB in GHz-domain. To overcome this problem, we have already proposed segmental transmission line, in which genetic algorithm is used to solve the combinatorial explosion problem in the design. In this paper, we propose a novel fitness based on the eye-diagram, which is widely and generally used for SI evaluation in the high-speed interconnection design field. And we also propose a high-speed eye-diagram calculation method based on virtual eye-diagram. This eye-diagram is constructed by superposing the single-shot pulse responses and can reduce the simulation time. The simulation experiments demonstrate that our proposed fitness increases the eye height and eye width by 3.07 and 1.06 times, respectively, compared with the conventional one.
KeywordsSignal integrity Transmission line Genetic algorithms Printed circuit board Eye diagram
This research was partially supported by JSPS/KAKENHI Grant Number 17H03258 in Japan, and the VLSI Design and Education Center (VDEC) at the University of Tokyo, in collaboration with Keysight (Agilent) Technologies, Japan.
- 1.Shimada H, Akita S, Kuribara Y et al (2012) Signal integrity improvement in lossy transmission line using segmental transmission line. In: IEEE proceedings of electrical design of advanced packaging and systems symposium 2012 (73–76). https://doi.org/10.1109/EDAPS.2012.6469402
- 2.Mitchell M, Iba H (1997) An introduction to genetic algorithms (in Japanese). Tokyo Denki University Press, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 4.Ono I, Satoh H, Kobayashi S (1999) A real-coded genetic algorithm for function optimization using the uni-modal normal distribution crossover. Jpn Soc Artif Intell 14(6):1146–1155Google Scholar
- 5.Satoh H, Ono I, Kobayashi S (1997) A new generation alternation model of genetic algorithms and its assessment (in Japanese). J Jpn Soc Artif Intell 12(5):734–744Google Scholar
- 6.Synopsys Inc (2008) HSPICE User Guide: Simulation and Analysis Version B-2008.09, Synopsys IncGoogle Scholar
- 7.Shi R, Yu W, Zhu Y et al (2008) Efficient and accurate eye diagram prediction for high speed signaling. In: IEEE ACM international conference on computer-aided design. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCAD.2008.4681646