Synthesis of MgCo2O4-coated Li4Ti5O12 composite anodes using co-precipitation method for lithium-ion batteries
- 39 Downloads
In the present work, we report synthesis of MgCo2O4 (MCO)/Li4Ti5O12 (LTO) composites for Li-ion battery anodes by a co-precipitation method. The objective of this work is to replace expensive Co with Mg and also to exploit advantages of both MCO and LTO. Three samples of MCO/LTO particles with different MCO proportion have various average particle sizes of 38.1, 56.9, and 58.5 nm, confirmed by scanning electron microscopy. Electrochemical studies show that a MCO/LTO anode offers a discharge capacity of ca. 300 mAh g−1, which is two times higher than that achieved by pristine LTO. The MCO/LTO anode also retains 75% of its initial capacity, even if the discharge rate is increased to 5 C. Cyclic stability test reveals that the composite anode still maintains nearly 85.5% of its initial capacity after 150 cycles. Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy indicates that the equivalent series resistance of MCO/LTO electrodes is significantly lower than that of LTO, i.e., from 35.5 to 9.9 Ω. The enhanced performance of the composite electrodes can be attributed to its improved conductivity as well as to the surface modification of LTO particles by MCO nanoparticle deposition which leads to increased number of active sites on the former.
KeywordsLithium-ion battery Spinel structure Composite anodes Magnesium cobaltite Lithium titanate
This study was financially supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan.
- 15.Yang KM, Hong YJ, Choi SH, Park BK, Kang YC (2013) Electrochemical properties of Li4Ti5O12-SnO2 composite powders prepared by scalable spray drying process. Int J Electrochem Sci 8:1026–1040Google Scholar
- 16.Zhou T, Lin Y, Zhao G, Huang Y, Lai H, Li J, Huang Z, Wu SH (2013) The enhancement role of ZnO surface modification on electrochemical performance of Li4Ti5O12/ZnO composites. Int J Electrochem Sci 8:1316–1327Google Scholar
- 37.Kamioka N, Ichitsubo T, Uda T, Imashuku S, Taninouchi Y, Matsubara E (2008) Synthesis of spinel-type magnesium cobalt oxide and its electrical conductivity, Mater. Transactions 49:824–828Google Scholar
- 47.Liang G, Pillai AS, Peterson VK, Ko KY, Chang CM, Lu CZ, Liu CE, Liao SC, Chen JM, Guo Z, Pang WK (2018) Effect of AlF3-coated Li4Ti5O12 on the performance and function of the LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4||Li4Ti5O12 full battery-an in-operando neutron powder diffraction study. Front Ener Res 6:1–12CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 51.Wei A, Li W, Zhang L, Liu Z (2017) Enhanced electrochemical performance of La2O3-modified Li4Ti5O12 anode material for Li-ion batteries. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (231(1):012082). IOP PublishingGoogle Scholar