Quasi solid-state dye-sensitized solar cell with P(MMA-co-MAA)-based polymer electrolytes
A series of poly (methylacrylate-co-methylacrylic acid) (P(MMA-co-MAA)) gel polymer electrolytes containing iodide/triiodide (I−/I3−) redox mediator from sodium iodide (NaI) dopant salt was synthesized and studied on their conductivity and power conversion efficiency as applied in dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSC). A relationship of complex permittivity with increasing frequency was established as well as dispersion relation with modulus studies. Temperature dependence study forms an Arrhenius plot and the highest ionic conductivity achieved was 1.07 mS cm−1 at room temperature with activation energy of 0.224 eV for the gel polymer electrolytes (GPE) with 40 wt% NaI. Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) and X-ray diffraction (XRD) spectroscopy was utilized to evaluate the formation of complexes between the copolymer and salt. Again at 40 wt% NaI, the best performance was observed under photovoltaic investigation using DSSC with energy conversion efficiency of 2.34%. To further understand the electrochemical properties of the GPE, steady-state measurement of triiodide diffusion coefficient was done.
KeywordsDye-sensitized solar cells P(MMA-co-MAA) Dielectric behavior FTIR and XRD
The authors would like to thank Collaborative Research in Engineering, Science & Technology Center (CREST) for their continuous support in this research (PV027-2018). A special thank you to ECLIMO SDN BHD too.
This work is financially supported by University of Malaya–Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UM-UTP) Grant (PV009-2017).
- 3.Ng HM, Ramesh S, Ramesh K (2016) The impact of the incorporation of dual salts into poly(1-vinylpyrrolidone-co-vinyl acetate) based quasi-solid polymer electrolyte on the electrochemical and photovoltaic performances of the dye-sensitized solar cells. Electrochim Acta 216:238–245CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Kim M, Park S, Kim J, Lee J (2011) Dye-sensitized solar cells based on polymer electrolytes, solar cells - dye-sensitized devices. InTech. http://www.intechopen.com/books/solar-cells-dye-sensitized-devices/dye-sensitized-solar-cells-based-on-polymer-electrolytes. Accessed 9 Nov 2011
- 9.Liu S, Yang M, Dan Y (2005) Complex system of poly(methacrylic acid) with poly(vinylpyrrolidone) in aqueous media. J Appl Polym Sci 96:2280–2286Google Scholar
- 21.Ng HM, Ramesh S, Ramesh K (2015) Exploration on the P(VP-co-VAc) copolymer based gel polymer electrolytes doped with quaternary ammonium iodide salt for DSSC applications: electrochemical behaviors and photovoltaic performances. Org Electron Phys Mater Appl 22:132–139Google Scholar
- 22.Gurusiddappa KPDJ, Madhuri W, Suvarna RP (2016) Conductivity and dielectric behavior of polyethylene oxide-lithium perchlorate solid polymer electrolyte films. Indian J Adv Chem Sci 4:14–19Google Scholar
- 25.Avakian P, Starkweather HW Jr, Kampert WG (2002) Dielectric analysis of polymers. Handbook of thermal analysis and calorimetry 3:147–164Google Scholar
- 29.Zistler M, Wachter P, Wasserscheid P, Gerhard D, Hinsch A, Sastrawan R, Gores HJ (2006) Comparison of electrochemical methods for triiodide diffusion coefficient measurements and observation of non-Stokesian diffusion behaviour in binary mixtures of two ionic liquids. Electrochim Acta 52(1):161–169CrossRefGoogle Scholar