Impact of alginate and fluoroethylene carbonate on the electrochemical performance of SiO–SnCoC anode for lithium-ion batteries
- 56 Downloads
The electrochemical performance of SiO–SnCoC composite anode for high-energy lithium-ion batteries was evaluated with particular emphasis on the impact of Alginate as a polymeric binder, as well as fluoroethylene carbonate (FEC) as electrolyte additive. It was found that the presence of FEC and the use of alginate pH 3 as binder help to improve the electrochemical stability of the composite anode, showing the best electrochemical performance with a high specific capacity, great capacity retention, and excellent coulombic efficiency. Particularly, the high precision self-discharge current study revealed that the alginate binder slowed down the parasitic reactions between the lithiated anode and the non-aqueous electrolyte.
KeywordsAlginate Fluoroethylene carbonate Lithium-ion batteries Anode Self-discharge Parasitic reaction
Research was funded by the US Department of Energy (DOE), Vehicle Technologies Office. Support from David Howell and Tien Duong of the US DOE’s Office of Vehicle Technologies Program is gratefully acknowledged. Argonne National Laboratory is operated for the US Department of Energy by UChicago Argonne, LLC, under contract DE-AC02-06CH11357. Guillermina Luque thanks CONICET for the fellowship received and the valuable help of Dr. Emiliano Primo.
- 9.Tian H, Xin F, Wang X, He W, Han W (2015) High capacity group-IV elements (Si, Ge, Sn) based anodes for lithium-ion batteries. J Mater 1:153–169Google Scholar
- 15.Komaba S, Shimomura K, Yabuuchi N, Ozeki T, Yui H, Konno K (2011) Study on polymer binders for high-capacity siO negative electrode of li-ion batteries. J Phys Chem C 115(27):13487–13495Google Scholar
- 18.Zhang L, Chai L, Xue P, Hao W, Zheng H (2014) A coordinatively cross-linked polymeric network as a functional binder for high-performance silicon submicro-particle anodes in lithium-ion batteries. J Mater Chem A 2(44):19036–19045Google Scholar
- 22.Ming J, Ming H, Kwak W-J, Shin C, Zheng J, Sun Y-K (2014) The binder effect on an oxide-based anode in lithium and sodium-ion battery applications: the fastest way to ultrahigh performance. Chem Commun 50(87):13307–13310Google Scholar
- 30.Zhao X, Zhuang Q-C, Xu S-D, Xu Y-X, Shi Y-L, Zhang X-X (2015) A new insight into the content effect of fluoroethylene carbonate as a film forming additive for lithium-ion batteries. Int J Electrochem Sci 10:2515–2534Google Scholar
- 35.de Kerchove AJ, Elimelech M (2007) Formation of polysaccharide gel layers in the presence of Ca2+ and K+ ions: measurements and mechanisms. Biomacromology 8(1):113–121Google Scholar
- 36.Aoki S, Han Z-J, Yamagiwa K, Yabuuchi N, Murase M, Okamoto K, Kiyosu T, Satoh M, Komaba S (2015) Acrylic acid-based copolymers as functional binder for silicon/graphite composite electrode in lithium-ion batteries. J Electrochem Soc 162(12):A2245–A2249Google Scholar