Transition metal-doped carbon sphere as enhanced catalysts for oxygen reduction
Herein, carbon sphere (CS-T) were successfully prepared by pyrolyzation melamine formaldehyde resin. And then different transition metals (Fe, Co, Ni) were doped on carbon sphere (CS-M-900). The scanning electron microscopes and elemental mappings prove that the transition metal particles are uniformly doped on the carbon sphere. Meanwhile, the X-ray photoelectron spectrum prove that the transition metals are zero-valence. Furthermore, the electrochemical testings showed the CS-Co-900 had more positive onset potential (0.93 V), half-wave potential (0.84 V), and peak potential (0.81 V). Furthermore, the CS-Co-900 had lower charge transfer resistance (44 Ω) and smaller Tafel slope (65 mV/dec). Most importantly, the oxygen reduction reaction on the CS-Co-900 turned out to be a four electron procedure with excellent methanol tolerance. The improved electrochemical properties towards oxygen reduction reactions of carbon sphere via cobalt doping suggested a design strategy towards future high-performance electrochemical devices.
KeywordsMelamine formaldehyde resin Carbon sphere Transition metal doping Oxygen reduction
We acknowledge financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant no. 21205030), and by key project of Hubei provincial education department (D20171001) and Hubei Key Laboratory of Ferro & Piezoelectric Materials and Devices (201710).
- 11.Ferrero GA, Preuss K, Marinovic A, Jorge AB, Mansor N, Brett DJ, Fuertes AB, Sevilla M, Titirici MM (2016) Fe-N-doped carbon capsules with outstanding electrochemical performance and stability for the oxygen reduction reaction in both acid and alkaline conditions. ACS Nano 10(6):5922–5932CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Zhou TS, Zhou Y, Ma RG, Zhou ZZ, Liu GH, Liu Q, Zhu YF, Wang JC (2016) In situ formation of nitrogen-doped carbon nanoparticles on hollow carbon spheres as efficient oxygen reduction electrocatalysts. Nano 8:18134–18142Google Scholar
- 24.Wu J, Yang SW, Li JP, Yang YC, Wang G, Bu XM, He P, Sun J, Yang JH, Deng Y, Ding GQ, Xie XM (2016) Electron injection of phosphorus doped g-C3N4 quantum dots: controllable photoluminescence emission wavelength in the whole visible light range with high quantum yield. Adv Optical Mater 4(12):2095–2101CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Niu YL, Huang XQ, Wu XS, Zhao L, Hu WH, Li CM (2017) One-pot synthesis of Co/N-doped mesoporous graphene with embedded Co/CoOx nanoparticles for efficient oxygen reduction reaction. Nano 9:10233–10239Google Scholar
- 35.Su YH, Zhu YH, Jiang HL, Shen JH, Yang XL, Zou WJ, Chen JD, Li CZ (2014) Cobalt nanoparticles embedded in N-doped carbon as an efficient bifunctional electrocatalyst for oxygen reduction and evolution reactions. Nano 6:15080–15089Google Scholar
- 48.Wang HT, Wang W, Asif M, Yu Y, Wang ZY, Wang JL, Liu HF, Xiao JW (2017) Cobalt ions-coordinated self-assembly synthesis of nitrogen doped ordered mesoporous carbon nanosheets for efficiently catalyzing oxygen reduction. Nano 9:15534–15541Google Scholar