Discovery of SBF1 as an allosteric inhibitor targeting the PIF-pocket of 3-phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase-1
3-phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase-1 (PDK1) plays a crucial role in the signal transduction of massive growth-related protein kinases. In this work, a computational study has been performed to investigate the binding pose of the hydrolyzed product of SBF1 (SBF1−) with PDK1. The binding pose was predicted by Vina and was further refined in a molecular dynamics simulation. For comparison, four published low molecular weight compounds (PS48, PS171, PS182, and PS210) binding with PDK1 were also studied. SBF1− was anchored in the PIF-pocket of PDK1 with salt bridge interaction using its carboxylate moiety, which is a common feature among the known ligands. Hydrogen bonds to THR148 and vdW interactions with GLN150 also have contributions to the association affinity. The allosteric regulation on PDK1 via the binding of SBF1− was further addressed. The binding affinity of SBF1− in complex with PDK1 is comparable to those of PS171 and PS182, with an estimated IC50 in a range from 2.0 to 10.0 μ molar. Comparison between the free energy profiles with the presence or absence of SBF1− in the binding pocket indicates that the binding of SBF1− enhances the hinge motion and suppresses the fluctuation of the end-to-end distance in α B of PDK1. These results demonstrate that SBF1− is a promising allosteric regulator of PDK1 targeting the PIF-binding pocket and can serve as a new scaffold template for the design of new drugs targeting PDK1.
Keywords3-phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase-1 SBF1 Allosteric Free energy
Y.M. is supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology of China (Grant No. 2016YFA0501700), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 21773066) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities. CPU time was supported by the Supercomputer Center of East China Normal University (ECNU Public Platform for Innovation No. 001).
- 13.Lopez-Garcia LA, Schulze JO, Frohner W, Zhang H, Suss E, Weber N, Navratil J, Amon S, Hindie V, Zeuzem S, Jorgensen TJ, Alzari PM, Neimanis S, Engel M, Biondi RM (2011) Allosteric regulation of protein kinase PKCζ by the N-terminal C1 domain and small compounds to the PIF-pocket. Chem Biol 18:1463–1473CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Busschots K, Lopez-Garcia LA, Lammi C, Stroba A, Zeuzem S, Piiper A, Alzari PM, Neimanis S, Arencibia JM, Engel M, Schulze JO, Biondi RM (2012) Substrate-selective inhibition of protein kinase PDK1 by small compounds that bind to the PIF-pocket allosteric docking site. Chem Biol 19:1152–1163CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Li W, Ouyang Z, Zhang Q, Wang L, Shen Y, Wu X, Gu Y, Shu Y, Yu B, Wu X, Sun Y, Xu Q (2014) SBF-1 exerts strong anticervical cancer effect through inducing endoplasmic reticulum stress-associated cell death via targeting sarco/endoplasmic reticulum C a 2+-ATPase 2. Cell Death Dis 18:e1581CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Frisch MJ, Trucks GW, Schlegel HB, Scuseria GE, Robb MA, Cheeseman JR, Scalmani G, Barone V, Mennucci B, Petersson GA, Nakatsuji H, Caricato M, Li X, Hratchian HP, Izmaylov AF, Bloino J, Zheng G, Sonnenberg JL, Hada M, Ehara M, Toyota K, Fukuda R, Hasegawa J, Ishida M, Nakajima T, Honda Y, Kitao O, Nakai H, Vreven T, Montgomery JA Jr, Peralta JE, Ogliaro F, Bearpark M, Heyd JJ, Brothers E, Kudin KN, Staroverov VN, Keith T, Kobayashi R, Normand J, Raghavachari K, Rendell A, Burant JC, Iyengar SS, Tomasi J, Cossi M, Rega N, Millam JM, Klene M, Knox JE, Cross JB, Bakken V, Adamo C, Jaramillo J, Gomperts R, Stratmann RE, Yazyev O, Austin AJ, Cammi R, Pomelli C, Ochterski JW, Martin RL, Morokuma K, Zakrzewski VG, Voth GA, Salvador P, Dannenberg JJ, Dapprich S, Daniels AD, Farkas O, Foresman JB, Ortiz JV, Cioslowski J, Fox D (2010) Gaussian 09, revision B.01, Gaussian, Inc.: Wallingford CTGoogle Scholar
- 34.Ryckaert JP, Ciccotti G, Berendsen HJC (1977) Numerical integration of the Cartesian equations of motion of a system with constraints: Molecular dynamics of n-alkanes. J Chem Phys 23:327–341Google Scholar
- 37.Case D, Berryman J, Betz R, Cerutti D, Cheatham TI, Darden T, Duke R, Giese T, Gohlke H, Goetz A, Homeyer N, Izadi S, Janowski P, Kaus J, Kovalenko A, Lee T, LeGrand S, Li P, Luchko T, Luo R, Madej B, Merz K, Monard G, Needham P, Nguyen H, Nguyen H, Omelyan I, Onufriev A, Roe D, Roitberg A, Salomon-Ferrer R, Simmerling C, Smith W, Swails J, Walker R, Wang J, Wolf R, Wu X, York D, Kollman P (2015) AMBER 15, University of California San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- 40.Connolly ML (1983) Analytical molecular surface calculation. J Chem Theory Comput 16:548–558Google Scholar
- 44.Schulze J, Saladino G, Busschots K, Neimanis S, Süß E, Odadzic D, Zeuzem S, Hindie V, Herbrand A, Lisa M-N, Alzari P, Gervasio F, Biondi R (2016) Bidirectional allosteric communication between the ATP-binding site and the regulatory PIF pocket in PDK1 protein kinase. Cell Chem Biol 23:1193–1205CrossRefGoogle Scholar