Analysis of lowest energy transitions at TD-DFT of pyrene in vacuum and solvent
- 37 Downloads
Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are present in interstellar medium and trapped in water ice. Among these compounds, pyrene has a controversial theoretical excitation spectrum. We carried out time-dependent density functional theory, including the long-range correction functionals, with the aim to help to understand the inversion of the first two UV bands of lower energies. The pyrene molecule was optimized at TD-DFT functionals with Def2svp basis set. The spectrum of pyrene molecule was calculated using implicit and explicit solvent models. The explicit solvent effect was studied, including a cluster of 51 water molecules. The implicit solvent PCM model was used with water and benzene as solvents. CAM-B3LYP and ωB97XD give correct band positions and the ω parameter was also optimized. NBO and frontier molecular orbitals were used to study the UV band inversion.
KeywordsPyrene Long range correction TD-DFT
The authors are indebted to the financial support of FAPDF, CNPq, and CAPES and the computational support of CENAPAD/SP and UnB/FINEP Institute of Chemistry Computational Centre.
- 1.Limão-Vieira P, Anzai K, Kato H, Hoshino M, Da Silva FF, Duflot D, Mogi D, Tanioka T, Tanaka H (2012) Electronic excitation to singlet states of 1,3-C4F6,c-C4F6 and 2-C4F6 by Electron impact - Electron energy-loss spectroscopy and ab initio calculations. J Phys Chem A 116:10529–10538. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp307599y CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 3.Hardegree-Ullman EE, Gudipati MS, Boogert ACA, Lignell H, Allamandola LJ, Stapelfeldt KR, Werner M (2014) Laboratory determination of the infrared band strengths of pyrene frozen in water ice: implications for the composition of interstellar ices. Astrophys J 784:172. https://doi.org/10.1088/0004-637x/784/2/172 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Kerkines ISK, Petsalakis ID, Theodorakopoulos G, Klopper W (2009) Low-lying absorption and emission spectra of pyrene, 1,6-dithiapyrene, and tetrathiafulvalene: a comparison between ab initio and time-dependent density functional methods. J Chem Phys 131:224315. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3271347 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Crawford AG, Dwyer AD, Liu Z, Steffen A, Beeby A, Pålsson LO, Tozer DJ, Marder TB (2011) Experimental and theoretical studies of the photophysical properties of 2- and 2,7-functionalized pyrene derivatives. J Am Chem Soc 133:13349–13362. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja2006862 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Svensson M, Humbel S, Froese RDJ, Matsubara T, Sieber S, Morokuma K (1996) ONIOM: a multilayered integrated MO + MM method for geometry optimizations and single point energy predictions. A test for Diels−Alder reactions and Pt(P(t-Bu)3)2 + H2 oxidative addition. J Phys Chem 100:19357–19363. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp962071j CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Frisch MJ, Trucks GW, Schlegel HB, Scuseria GE, Robb MA, Cheeseman JR, Scalmani G, Barone V, Mennucci B, Petersson GA, Nakatsuji H, Caricato M, Li X, Hratchian HP, Izmaylov AF, Bloino J, Zheng G, Sonnenberg JL, Hada M, Ehara M, Toyota K, Fukuda R, Hasegawa J, Ishida M, Nakajima T, Honda Y, Kitao O, Nakai H, Vreven T;JA, Montgomery J, Peralta JE, Ogliaro F, Bearpark M, Heyd JJ, Brothers E, Kudin KN, Staroverov VN, Kobayashi R, Normand J, Raghavachari K, Rendell A, Burant JC, Iyengar SS, Tomasi J, Cossi M, Rega N, Millam JM, Klene M, Knox JE, Cross JB, Bakken V, Adamo C, Jaramillo J, Gomperts R, Stratmann RE, Yazyev O, Austin AJ, Cammi R, Pomelli C, Ochterski JW, Martin RL, Morokuma K, Zakrzewski VG, Voth GA, Salvador P, Dannenberg JJ, Dapprich S, Daniels AD, Farkas O, Foresman JB, Ortiz JV, Cioslowski J, Fox DJ (2009) Gaussian 09, revision D.01. Gaussian Inc, WallingfordGoogle Scholar
- 27.Berkowitz J (1979) Photoabsorption, photoionization, and photoelectron spectroscopy, 1st edn. Academic, CambridgeGoogle Scholar