Laser therapy for recurrent aphthous stomatitis: an overview
- 59 Downloads
To evaluate therapeutic effects of laser therapy on patients with recurrent aphthous stomatitis assessing evidences from previously published systematic reviews.
Materials and methods
An overview of systematic reviews was conducted based on PRISMA checklist. Search strategies were developed and adapted for six different electronic databases and a gray literature search was also performed. The methodology quality of the included systematic reviews was assessed by the Measurement Tool to Assess the Methodological Quality of Systematic Reviews 2 (AMSTAR 2).
After a two-step selection, five systematic reviews were included. Methodology quality was considered as a high risk of bias in two systematic reviews, while in the other three were graded as moderate. The systematic reviews’ conclusions demonstrated that all included systematics reviews showed positive effects of laser therapy for pain relief, and most of them demonstrated healing improvement. A meta-analysis was not feasible due to heterogeneity in treatments parameters.
Evidence suggested that laser therapy is an effective tool to treat recurrent aphthous stomatitis; nevertheless, more randomized clinical trials should be conducted to compare different lasers parameters.
The present overview evaluated recent evidence about laser therapy for recurrent aphthous stomatitis management in order to contribute for evidence-based dentistry and decision-making. This overview suggests that laser therapy is a safe and promising alternative to treat recurrent aphthous stomatitis, since it promotes wound healing and pain relief.
KeywordsLasers Oral ulcer Oral medicine Systematic review Evidence-based medicine Overview
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
For this type of study, formal consent is not required.
- 2.Al-Omiri MK, Karasneh J, Alhijawi MM, Zwiri AM, Scully C, Lynch E (2015) Recurrent aphthous stomatitis (RAS): a preliminary within-subject study of quality of life, oral health impacts and personality profiles. J Oral Pathol Med 44(4):278–283. https://doi.org/10.1111/jop.12232 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Zand N, Fateh M, Ataie-Fashtami L, Djavid GE, Fatemi SM, Shirkavand A (2012) Promoting wound healing in minor recurrent aphthous stomatitis by non-thermal, non-ablative CO2 laser therapy: a pilot study. Photomed Laser Surg 30(12):719–723. https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2012.3301 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Amorim dos Santos JA, Normando AGC, de Toledo IP, Melo G, Guerra ENS (2018) Laser therapy on aphthous stomatitis: an overview of systematic reviews. PROSPERO 2018:CRD42018102772Google Scholar
- 21.Shea BJ, Reeves BC, Wells G, Thuku M, Hamel C, Moran J, Moher D, Tugwell P, Welch V, Kristjansson E, Henry DA (2017) AMSTAR 2: a critical appraisal tool for systematic reviews that include randomised or non-randomised studies of healthcare interventions, or both. BMJ 358:j4008. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j4008 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 22.Zand N, Ataie-Fashtami L, Djavid GE, Fatch M, Alinaghizadeh MR, Fatemi AM, Arbabi-Kalati F (2009) Relieving pain in minor aphthous stomatitis by a single session of non-thermal carbon dioxide laser irradiation. Lasers Med Sci 24:515–520. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-008-0555-1 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Hazeem MI, Rajab MS, Badeia RA (2013) Treatment of recurrent aphthous stomatitis with 940nm diode laser. Tikrit J Dent Sci 1(2013):77–82Google Scholar
- 29.Jijin MJ, Rakaraddi M, Pai J, Jaishankar HP, Krupashankar R, Kavitha AP, Anjana R, Shobha R (2016) Low-level laser therapy versus 5% amlexanox: a comparison of treatment effects in a cohort of patients with minor aphthous ulcers. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 3:269–273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2015.11.021 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Aromataris E, Fernandez R, Godfrey CM, Holly C, Khalil H, Tungpunkom P (2015) Summarizing systematic reviews: methodological development, conduct and reporting of an umbrella review approach. Int J Evid Based Healthc 13(3):132–140. https://doi.org/10.1097/XEB.0000000000000055 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Jahromi NZ, Ghapanchi J, Pourshahidi S, Zahed M, Ebrahimi H (2017) Clinical evaluation of high and low-level laser treatment (CO2vsInGaAlP diode laser) for recurrent aphthous stomatitis. J Dent Shiraz Univ Med Sci 18(1):17–23Google Scholar