The association between smoking and periapical periodontitis: a systematic review
The purpose of this systematic review was to examine if, in adult patients, the absence or presence of smoking influenced the prevalence of periapical periodontitis (PP).
Materials and methods
Databases were searched, and original research manuscripts up to June 2019 were identified by two reviewers. The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) was used for risk of bias. The Grading of Recommendations, Assessment, Development, and Evaluation (GRADE) system was used for certainty in the evidence. A meta-analysis was performed using RevMan 5 software. Risk ratio (RR) was used for the cohort studies, and odds ratio (OR) was used for the case-control studies with 95% confidence interval (CI).
All the studies had many covariates and confounding variables. Three longitudinal cohort articles discussed radiographic findings as they related to the prevalence of PP in root-filled teeth. The RR of smoking and the prevalence of PP was 2.11 (95% CI 0.88–5.05, p = 0.09). Nine case-control studies focused on the prevalence of PP and smoking. There was a positive association between smoking and the prevalence of PP with an OR of 2.78 and a 95% confidence interval of 2.23–3.48, with p value < 0.05. The quality of the studies was fair per NOS, and the certainty of the literature assessment was moderate per GRADE.
The current best available evidence suggests that smoking was associated with the prevalence of PP but more studies are needed to report this association in the longitudinal cohort studies.
Smoking has a positive association with the prevalence of PP.
KeywordsPeriapical periodontitis Prevalence Smoking Apical lesion Systematic review Meta-analysis
All authors have made substantial contributions to all of the following: (1) the conception and design of this systematic review, or acquisition of data, or analysis and interpretation of data; (2) drafting and revising it critically for important intellectual content; and (3) they are in agreement of the final approval of the version.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Not applicable. The information used to perform this review is available online and it is public. Therefore, the analysis performed in this study is in accordance with the ethical standards.
For this type of study, formal consent is not required.
- 8.Ghattas Ayoub C, Aminoshariae A, Bakkar M, Ghosh S, Bonfield T, Demko C, Montagnese TA, Mickel AK (2017) Comparison of IL-1beta, TNF-alpha, hBD-2, and hBD-3 expression in the dental pulp of Smokers versus nonsmokers. J Endod 43:2009–2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2017.08.017 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Iho S, Tanaka Y, Takauji R, Kobayashi C, Muramatsu I, Iwasaki H, Nakamura K, Sasaki Y, Nakao K, Takahashi T (2003) Nicotine induces human neutrophils to produce IL-8 through the generation of peroxynitrite and subsequent activation of NF-kappaB. J Leukoc Biol 74:942–951. https://doi.org/10.1189/jlb.1202626 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Ottawa N. file:///C:/Users/axa53/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/appe-fm3%20(2).pdf. Accessed Acces DateGoogle Scholar
- 24.Segura-Egea JJ, Jimenez-Pinzon A, Rios-Santos JV, Velasco-Ortega E, Cisneros-Cabello R, Poyato-Ferrera MM (2008) High prevalence of apical periodontitis amongst smokers in a sample of Spanish adults. Int Endod J 41:310–316. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2007.01365.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Lopez-Lopez J, Jane-Salas E, Martin-Gonzalez J, Castellanos-Cosano L, Llamas-Carreras JM, Velasco-Ortega E, Segura-Egea JJ (2012) Tobacco smoking and radiographic periapical status: a retrospective case-control study. J Endod 38:584–588. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2012.02.011 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Yu YH, Doucette-Stamm L, Rogus J, Moss K, Zee RYL, Steffensen B, Ridker PM, Buring JE, Offenbacher S, Kornman K, Chasman DI (2018) Family History of MI, Smoking, and Risk of Periodontal Disease. J Dent Res 97:1106–1113. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034518782189 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 35.Wu J, Peters BA, Dominianni C, Zhang Y, Pei Z, Yang L, Ma Y, Purdue MP, Jacobs EJ, Gapstur SM, Li H, Alekseyenko AV, Hayes RB, Ahn J (2016) Cigarette smoking and the oral microbiome in a large study of American adults. ISME Jl 10:2435–2446. https://doi.org/10.1038/ismej.2016.37 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.Petropoulos G, McKay IJ, Hughes FJ (2004) The association between neutrophil numbers and interleukin-1alpha concentrations in gingival crevicular fluid of smokers and non-smokers with periodontal disease. J Clin Periodontol 31:390–395. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051x.2004.00489.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar