Re: Does smoking habit increase the micronuclei frequency in the oral mucosa of adults compared to non-smokers? A systematic review and meta-analysis. de Geus et al., Clin Oral Investig. 2018 Jan; 22(1):81–91
- 13 Downloads
I read the review paper by de Geus et al.  with great interest because I am very interested in this problem and published several papers concerning genotoxic action of tobacco products in exfoliated epithelial cells. Indeed, the data concerning induction of MN in human cells (both lymphocytes and buccal cells) of smokers are controversial and the paper of de Geus et al.  appeared timely. Although the paper is very interesting and the authors “showed a higher frequency of micronuclei in exfoliated cells of smokers compared to non-smokers” (based on meta-analysis of several publications), I completely disagree with some statements of the authors.
First of all, micronuclei (MN) in epithelial cells are very rare event unlike MN in lymphocytes. In 1999, Fenech et al.  stated that the average MN frequencies in exfoliated buccal cells of healthy population are between 1.0 and 3.0‰ . Later, it was reported by Bonassi et al.  (based on database of 5424 subjects)...
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declares that he has no conflict of interest.
For this type of study, approval is not required.
For this type of study, formal consent is not required.
- 3.Bonassi S, Coskun E, Ceppi M, Lando C, Bolognesi C, Burgaz S, Holland N, Kirsh-Volders M, Knasmueller S, Zeiger E, Carnesoltas D, Cavallo D, da Silva J, de Andrade VM, Demircigil GC, Dominguez Odio A, Donmez-Altuntas H, Gattas G, Giri A, Giri S, Gomez-Meda B, Gomez-Arroyo S, Hadjidekova V, Haveric A, Kamboj M, Kurteshi K, Martino-Roth MG, Montero Montoya R, Nersesyan A, Pastor-Benito S, Favero Salvadori DM, Shaposhnikova A, Stopper H, Thomas P, Torres-Bugarin O, Yadav AS, Zuniga Gonzalez G, Fenech M (2011) The HUman MicroNucleus project on eXfoLiated buccal cells (HUMN (XL)): the role of life-style, host factors, occupational exposures, health status, and assay protocol. Mutat Res 728:88–97CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Bonassi S, Fenech M, Lando C, Lin YP, Ceppi M, Chang WP, Holland N, Kirsch-Volders M, Zeiger E, Ban S, Barale R, Bigatti MP, Bolognesi C, Jia C, Di Giorgio M, Ferguson LR, Fucic A, Lima OG, Hrelia P, Krishnaja AP, Lee TK, Migliore L, Mikhalevich L, Mirkova E, Mosesso P, Muller WU, Odagiri Y, Scarffi MR, Szabova E, Vorobtsova I, Vral A, Zijno A (2001) HUman MicroNucleus project: international database comparison for results with the cytokinesis-block micronucleus assay in human lymphocytes: I. Effect of laboratory protocol, scoring criteria, and host factors on the frequency of micronuclei. Environ Mol Mutagen 37:31–45CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Albertini RJ, Anderson D, Douglas GR, Hagmar L, Hemminki K, Merlo F, Natarajan AT, Norppa H, Shuker DE, Tice R, Waters MD, Aitio A (2000) IPCS guidelines for the monitoring of genotoxic effects of carcinogens in humans. International programme on chemical safety. Mutat Res 463:111–172CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Casartelli G, Monteghirfo S, De Ferrari M, Bonatti S, Scala M, Toma S, Margarino G, Abbondandolo A (1997) Staining of micronuclei in squamous epithelial cells of human oral mucosa. Anal Quant Cytol Histol 19:475–481Google Scholar
- 17.Casartelli G, Bonatti S, De Ferrari M, Scala M, Mereu P, Margarino G, Abbondandolo A (2000) Micronucleus frequencies in exfoliated buccal cells in normal mucosa, precancerous lesions and squamous cell carcinoma. Anal Quant Cytol Histol 22:486–492Google Scholar
- 21.Mr P, Guruprasad Y, Jose M, Saxena K, K D, Prabhu V (2014) Comparative study of genotoxicity in different tobacco related habits using micronucleus assay in exfoliated buccal epithelial cells. J Clin Diagn Res 8:ZC21-24Google Scholar
- 22.Palaskar S, Jindal C (2010) Evaluation of micronuclei using Papanicolaou and may Grunwald Giemsa stain in individuals with different tobacco habits – a comparative study. J Clin Diagn Res 4:3607–3613Google Scholar
- 23.Angelieri F, de Cassia Goncalves Moleirinho T, Carlin V, Oshima CT, Ribeiro DA (2010) Biomonitoring of oral epithelial cells in smokers and non-smokers submitted to panoramic X-ray: comparison between buccal mucosa and lateral border of the tongue. Clin Oral Investig 14:669–674CrossRefGoogle Scholar