Changes in periapical status, quality of root fillings and estimated endodontic treatment need in a similar urban German population 20 years later
- 166 Downloads
The study aimed at assessing, as primary objective, the periapical status and quality of root fillings, and, as secondary objective, the endodontic treatment need of a German urban population in a cross-sectional study 20 years after the first one.
Materials and methods
Clinical and radiographic data of 353 patients were evaluated. Descriptive and regression analyses were performed and the endodontic treatment need was calculated. Results were compared with data from the year 1993.
A total of 9269 teeth were examined (26.2 teeth per patient; 1993, 24.4), of which 337 teeth were root filled (3.6%; 1993, 2.7%). Prevalence of apical periodontitis in root-filled teeth was 34% (1993, 61%). Quality of root fillings was adequate in 117 cases (35%; 1993, 14%). Minimum endodontic treatment need was estimated with 1.6% (1993, 2.3%), including teeth with clinical symptoms. Considering symptomless teeth with apical periodontitis and poor quality of root filling, the treatment need was 2.9% (1993, 3.7%). Regression analysis identified quality of root filling as a significant factor for periapical health (p = 0.01, odds ratio 3.4×, 95% CI 1.9–6.3×), likewise the type of instrumentation. Teeth treated with rotary files had a significantly better outcome (p = 0.02, odds ratio 2.0×, 95% CI 1.1–3.7×).
Quality of root fillings and the periapical status have improved over the last 20 years in Germany. However, there is still a need for an increase in quality of root canal treatment.
KeywordsPeriapical status Apical periodontitis Epidemiology Repeated cross-sectional study Endodontic treatment need Endodontics
We would like to thank Carmen Buckley for the help with the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with animals performed by any of the authors. Ethical approval was obtained by the local Research Ethics Committee (Nr. 412/2013 D). The study was performed in accordance with the ethical standards laid down in the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 7.Toure B, Kane AW, Sarr M, Ngom CT, Boucher Y (2008) Prevalence and technical quality of root fillings in Dakar, Senegal. Int Endod J 41:41–49Google Scholar
- 8.Hülsmann M, Lorch V, Franz B (1991) Studies on the incidence and quality of root fillings. Evaluation by orthopantomograms. Dtsch Zahnarztl Z 46:296–299Google Scholar
- 10.Schilder H (1974) Cleaning and shaping the root canal. Dent Clin N Am 18:269–296Google Scholar
- 16.Carr GB (1992) Microscopes in endodontics. J Calif Dent Assoc 20:55–61Google Scholar
- 17.Knowles KI, Ibarrola JL, Ludlow MO (1998) The dental operating microscope as an educational tool. J Dent Educ 62:429–431Google Scholar
- 22.Lopez-Lopez J, Jane-Salas E, Estrugo-Devesa A, Castellanos-Cosano L, Martin-Gonzalez J, Velasco-Ortega E, Segura-Egea JJ (2012) Frequency and distribution of root-filled teeth and apical periodontitis in an adult population of Barcelona, Spain. Int Endod J 62:40–46Google Scholar
- 50.Gulsahi K, Gulsahi A, Ungor M, Genc Y (2008) Frequency of root-filled teeth and prevalence of apical periodontitis in an adult Turkish population. Int Endod J 41:78–85Google Scholar
- 51.Covello F, Franco V, Schiavetti R, Clementini M, Mannocci A, Ottria L, Costacurta M (2010) Prevalence of apical periodontitis and quality of endodontic treatment in an Italian adult population. Oral Implantol 3:9–14Google Scholar
- 56.Jersa I, Kundzina R (2013) Periapical status and quality of root fillings in a selected adult Riga population. Stomatologija 15:73–77Google Scholar
- 61.Oginni AO, Adeleke AA, Chandler NP (2015) Root canal treatment and prevalence of apical periodontitis in a Nigerian adult subpopulation: a radiographic study. Oral Health Prev Dent 13:85–90Google Scholar
- 62.Alfouzan K, Baskaradoss JK, Geevarghese A, Alzahrani M, Alhezaimi K (2016) Radiographic diagnosis of periapical status and quality of root canal fillings in a Saudi Arabian subpopulation. Oral Health Prev Dent 14:241–248Google Scholar