Effect of Crotalus basiliscus snake venom on the redox reaction of myoglobin
- 172 Downloads
In this work, we have studied the effect of Crotalus basiliscus snake venom on the redox reaction of myoglobin (Mb), and by means of electrochemical techniques, we have shown that this reaction is undoubtedly affected following the interaction with the venom. Surface plasmon resonance, electrophoresis, UV–Vis, and circular dichroism showed that the interaction involves the attachment of some constituent of the venom to the protein, although not affecting its first and secondary structures. Mass spectra support this suggestion by showing the appearance of signals assigned to the Mb dimer and to a new species resulting from the interaction between Mb and the venom proteins. In addition, the mass spectra suggest the aromatic amino acids of myoglobin, mainly tryptophan and phenylalanine, are more exposed to the solvent medium upon the exposure to the venom solution. The results altogether indicate that the harmful effects of the venom of Crotalus basiliscus snake are likely connected to the blocking of the redox site of Mb.
KeywordsElectrochemistry Modified electrode Myoglobin Snake venom Surface plasmon resonance
I.C.N. Diógenes (# 307078/2017-5), T. F. Paulo (#428741/2016-9), E. Longhinotti (#306305/2015-1), and E.H.S. Sousa (# 312030/2015-0, #403866/2016-2) are thankful to CNPq and FUNCAP (PRONEX/2015 PR2-0101-00030.01.00/15 SPU No.: 3265612/2015) for the Grants and financial support. The authors are all grateful to P.V. Bernhardt (Queensland University) for his valuable comments and suggestions.
- 3.King GF (2011) Expert opin. Biol Ther 11:1469–1484Google Scholar
- 6.Mackessy SP (2010) Handbook of venoms and toxins of reptiles. Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, FLGoogle Scholar
- 25.Armstrong FA (1990) Bioinorganic Chemistry. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 32.Platt JR (1956) Radiation in biology. McGraw-Hill Book Company Inc, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 39.Antonini E, Brunori M (1971) Elsevier. North-Holland, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 40.Sawyer DT, Sobkowiak A, Julian J, Roberts L (1995) Electrochemistry for chemists. Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar