Purity assessment using the mass balance approach for inorganic in-house certified reference material production at Inmetro
- 15 Downloads
The production of Certified Reference Materials (CRMs) is one of the essential activities of the National Institute of Metrology, Quality and Technology (Inmetro) to ensure metrological traceability of inorganic elemental measurements in Brazil. This work presents a set of procedures for purity assessment and in-house certification of high-purity salts, implemented at the Laboratory of Inorganic Analysis, from the Chemical and Thermal Metrology Division at Inmetro. We developed and validated methodologies based on inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry, energy-dispersive X-ray fluorescence spectrometry and inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry measurements with standard addition calibration in order to determine the mass fraction of up to 71 elements considered as possible impurities. The purity of inorganic salts was determined using the mass balance approach with expanded measurement uncertainties smaller than a mass fraction of 0.007 %. All procedures were performed according to the ISO 17034:2016 standard. The CRMs will be used for the production and certification of single-element calibration solutions at Inmetro.
KeywordsPurity assessment Certified reference material Metrological traceability Measurement uncertainty Accreditation
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.ISO 17034 (2016) General requirements for the competence of reference material producers, 1st edn. ISO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 4.ISO Guide 35 (2017) Reference materials—guidance for characterization and assessment of homogeneity and stability. ISO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 5.Vogl J (2018) Roadmap for the purity determination of pure metallic elements [Internet]. 1 Analytische Chemie; Referenzmaterialien. https://www.bipm.org/wg/CCQM/IAWG/Allowed/April_2017/CCQM-IAWG17-28.pdf.pdf. Accessed 26 June 2019
- 7.Otero-Romaní J, Moreda-Piñeiro A, Bermejo-Barrera P, Martin-Esteban A (2009) Inductively coupled plasma–optical emission spectrometry/mass spectrometry for the determination of Cu, Ni, Pb and Zn in seawater after ionic imprinted polymer based solid phase extraction. Talanta 79:723–729CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.ISO 3696 (1987) Water for analytical laboratory use—specification and test methods. International Organization for Standardization, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 13.ISO Guide 33 (2015) Reference materials—good practice in using reference materials, 3rd edn. International Organization for Standardization, GenevaGoogle Scholar