51V and 25Mg NMR Study of the Kagome Staircase Compound Mg3V2O8
- 48 Downloads
The 51V and 25Mg nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectra have been obtained and magnetic susceptibility has been measured in polycrystalline Mg3V2O8. The analysis of 51V NMR spectra has shown that the line shift, δ(51V) = − 555 ppm, does not depend on temperature. It has been established that vanadium ions V5+ have a zero magnetic moment in this structure. The 25Mg NMR spectrum consists of two lines corresponding to two crystallographically nonequivalent positions of magnesium ions in the Kagome structure: Mg(1) are « spine » and Mg(2) are « cross tie » . Quadrupole frequencies and asymmetry parameters of 25Mg and 51V NMR spectra have been determined. The magnetic susceptibility is turn out to be zero (within the error) and remains constant over at a whole temperature range.
The research was carried out within the state assignment of Minobrnauki of Russia (theme “Function” No. AAAA-A19-119012990095-0) and the project of the complex program of Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences № 18-10-3-32. The authors are grateful to I. A. Leonidov and A. L. Buzlukov for the productive discussion of the results.
- 6.O.N. Leonidova, A.A. Fotiev, I.A. Leonidov, Inorg. Mater. 28, 1136 (1992)Google Scholar
- 27.H. Chihara, N. Nakamura, Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance Spectroscopy Data (Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Heidelberg, 1993), p. 437Google Scholar
- 29.A. Abragam, The Principles of Nuclear Magnetism (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1961), p. 599Google Scholar
- 30.C.P. Slichter, Principles of Magnetic Resonance (Harper & Row, New York, 1963), p. 246Google Scholar
- 31.D. Freude, J. Haase, in NMR Basic Principles and Progress, vol. 29, ed. by P. Diehl, E. Fluck, H. Günther, R. Kosfeld (Springer, Berlin, 1993), pp. 1–90Google Scholar
- 33.R.E. Wasylishen, S.E. Ashbrook, S. Wimperis, NMR of Quadrupolar Nuclei in Solid Materials (Wiley, Chichester, 2012), p. 584Google Scholar
- 34.V.S. Grechishkin, Nuclear Quadrupole Interactions in Solids (Nauka, Moscow, 1973), p. 264. (In Russian) Google Scholar