Responses of He-Ne laser on agronomic traits and the crosstalk between UVR8 signaling and phytochrome B signaling pathway in Arabidopsis thaliana subjected to supplementary ultraviolet-B (UV-B) stress
- 179 Downloads
UV-B acclimation effects and UV-B damage repair induced by a 632.8-nm He-Ne laser were investigated in Arabidopsis thaliana plants in response to supplementary UV-B stress. There was an increasing trend in growth parameters in the combination-treated plants with He-Ne laser and UV-B light compared to those stressed with enhanced UV-B light alone during different developmental stages of plants. The photosynthetic efficiency (Pn) and survival rates of seedlings were significantly higher in the combination treatments than UV-B stress alone. The expression of UVR8, phytochrome B (PhyB), and their mediated signal responsive genes such as COP1, HY5, and CHS were also significantly upregulated in plants with the laser irradiation compared with other groups without the laser. Levels of flavonol accumulation in leaves and capsule yield of He-Ne laser-treated plants were increased. The phyB-9 mutants were more sensitive to enhanced UV-B stress and had no obvious improvements in plant phenotypic development and physiological damage caused by enhanced UV-B stress after He-Ne laser irradiation. Our results suggested that UVR8 and its mediated signaling pathway via interaction with COP1 can be induced by He-Ne laser, and these processes were dependent on cytoplasmic PhyB levels in plant cells, which might be one of the most important mechanisms of He-Ne laser on UV-B protection and UV-B damage repair. These current data have also elucidated that the biostimulatory effects of He-Ne laser on Arabidopsis thaliana plants would happen not only during the early growth stage but also during the entire late developmental stage.
KeywordsUV-B protection and acclimation Arabidopsis thaliana He-Ne laser UVR8 Phytochrome B
We thank Dr. Shaoying Zhang (Oregon State University, USA) for critical reading and editing the manuscript, and we acknowledge the foundation of Higher School Science and Technology Innovation Project of Shanxi Province (Grant no. 20161106) and Cultivation Project of Youth Backbone Teacher of Shanxi Normal University.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Alonso R, Berli FJ, Fontana A, Piccoli P, Bottini R (2016) Malbec grape (Vitis vinifera L.) responses to the environment: berry phenolics as influenced by solar UV-B, water deficit and sprayed abscisic acid. Plant Physiol Biochem 109:84–90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2016.09.007 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Darré M, Valerga L, Araque LCO, Lemoine ML, Demkura PV, Vicente AR, Concellón A (2017) Role of UV-B irradiation dose and intensity on color retention and antioxidant elicitation in broccoli florets (Brassica oleracea var. Italica). Postharvest Biol Technol 128:76–82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2017.02.003 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Favory JJ, Stec A, Gruber H, Rizzini L, Oravecz A, Funk M, Albert A, Cloix C, Jenkins GI, Oakeley EJ, Seidlitz HK, Nagy F, Ulm R (2009) Interaction of COP1 and UVR8 regulates UV-B-induced photomorphogenesis and stress acclimation in Arabidopsis. EMBO J 28(5):591–601. https://doi.org/10.1038/emboj.2009.4 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Guo P, Baum M, Grando S, Ceccarelli S, Bai G, Li R, von Korff M, Varshney RK, Graner A, Valkoun J (2009) Differentially expressed genes between drought-tolerant and drought-sensitive barley genotypes in response to drought stress during the reproductive stage. J Exp Bot 60(12):3531–3544. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erp194 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Hayes S, Sharma A, Fraser DP, Trevisan M, Cragg-Barber CK, Tavridou E, Fankhauser C, Jenkins GI, Franklin KA (2017) UV-B perceived by the UVR8 photoreceptor inhibits plant thermomorphogenesis. Curr Biol 27(1):120–127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2016.11.004 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Huang X, Ouyang X, Yang P, Lau OS, Chen L, Wei N, Deng XW (2013) Conversion from CUL4-based COP1–SPA E3 apparatus to UVR8–COP1–SPA complexes underlies a distinct biochemical function of COP1 under UV-B. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110(41):16669–16674. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1316622110 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Jenkins GI (2009) Signal transduction in responses to UV-B radiation. Annu Rev Plant Biol 60(1):407–431. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.arplant.59.032607.092953 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Khudyakova AY, Kreslavski VD, Shirshikova GN, Zharmukhamedov SK, Kosobryukhov AA, Allakhverdiev SI (2017) Resistance of Arabidopsis thaliana L. photosynthetic apparatus to UV-B is reduced by deficit of phytochromes B and A. J Photochem Photobiol B Biol 169:41–46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2017.02.024 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kreslavski VD, Shirshikova GN, Lyubimov VY, Shmarev AN, Boutanaev AM, Kosobryukhov AA, Schmitt FJ, Friedrich T, Allakhverdiev SI (2013) Effect of preillumination with red light on photosynthetic parameters and oxidant-/antioxidant balance in Arabidopsis thaliana in response to UV-A. J Photochem Photobiol B Biol 127:229–236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2013.08.008 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Morales LO, Brosché M, Vainonen J, Jenkins GI, Wargent JJ, Sipari N, Strid Å, Lindfors AV, Tegelberg R, Aphalo PJ (2013) Multiple roles for UV RESISTANCE LOCUS 8 in regulating gene expression and metabolite accumulation in Arabidopsis under solar UV radiation. Plant Physiol 161(2):744–759. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.112.211375 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Perveen R, Jamil Y, Ashraf M, Ali Q, Iabal M, Ahmad MR (2011) He-Ne laser induced improvement in biochemical, physiological, growth and yield characteristics in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) Photochem Photobiol 87(6):1453–1463. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097.2011.00974.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Qi Z, Yue M, Wang XL (2002) The damage repair of He-Ne laser on plants exposed to different intensities of ultraviolet-B radiation. Photochem Photobiol 75(6):680–686. https://doi.org/10.1562/0031-8655(2002)075<0680:TDRROH>2.0.CO;2 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Xie YJ, Zhang W, Duan XL, Dai C, Zhang YH, Cui WT, Wang R, Shen WB (2015) Hydrogen-rich water-alleviated ultraviolet-B-triggered oxidative damage is partially associated with the manipulation of the metabolism of (iso) flavonoids and antioxidant defence in Medicago sativa. Funct Plant Biol 42:1141–1157Google Scholar