Complete nucleotide sequence of a new potexvirus, ‘Cnidium virus X’, isolated from Cnidium officinale in Japan
- 59 Downloads
A flexuous virus was detected in a Cnidium officinale plant in Japan showing mosaic symptoms. The virus was assigned to the genus Potexvirus based on analysis of its complete nucleotide sequence. The genomic RNA of the virus was 5,964 nucleotides in length, excluding the 3′-terminal poly(A) tail. It contained five open reading frames (ORFs), consistent with other members of Potexvirus. The ORF sequences differ from those of previously reported potexviruses. Phylogenetic analysis indicated that the polymerase of the virus is closely related to that of strawberry mild yellow edge virus; and the CP, to those of both yam virus X and vanilla virus X. We propose that this virus be designated as “cnidium virus X” (CnVX).
The DNA sequencing was performed at the Biotechnology Center of Akita Prefectural University.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declares no competing interests.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 4.King AMQ, Adams MJ, Carstens EB, Lefkowitz EJ (eds) (2012) Virus taxonomy. In: Ninth report of the international committee on taxonomy of viruses. Elsevier Academic Press, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 5.Felsenstein J (1985) Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39:783–791. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1558-5646.1985.tb00420.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Jones DT, Taylor WR, Thornton JM (1992) The rapid generation of mutation data matrices from protein sequences. Comput Appl Biosci 8:275–282Google Scholar
- 12.Kobayashi S, Nagasawa S, Yamamoto Y, Donghyo K, Bamba T, Fukusaki E (2012) Metabolic profiling and identification of the genetic varieties and agricultural origin of Cnidium officinale and Ligusticum chuanxiong. J Biosci Bioeng 114(1):86–91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiosc.2012.02.015 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Lee JT, Yamashita S, Doi Y, Yora K (1981) Ann Phytopathol Soc Jpn 47(1):137 (Abstr) (in Japanese) Google Scholar
- 16.Lee JT, Yamashita S, Doi Y, Yora K (1983) Ann Phytopathol Soc Jpn 49(1):83 (Abstr) (in Japanese) Google Scholar
- 18.Saitou N, Nei M (1987) The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol Biol Evol 4:406–425. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.molbev.a040454 Google Scholar
- 22.Yang C, Han T, Fu J, Liao Y, Chen S (2018) Characterization of the complete genome of euonymus yellow vein associated virus, a distinct member of the genus potexvirus, family Alphaflexiviridae, isolated from Euonymus bungeanus Maxim in Liaoning, Northern China. Arch Virol 163:563–566. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-017-3617-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar