Genome sequences of chikungunya virus isolates circulating in midwestern Brazil
- 28 Downloads
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a reemerging arbovirus of the family Togaviridae that causes CHIKV fever, a disease that can extend from weeks to years depending on whether clinical signs of arthralgia persist. CHIKV is mainly transmitted by Aedes aegypti mosquitoes and possibly reached the Americas in 2013, causing an outbreak in Brazil in 2015. So far, two evolutionary lineages of CHIKV have been reported in Brazil: the Asian and the East-Central-South African (ECSA) lineages. In this study, six CHIKV isolates circulating in midwestern Brazil (Mato Grosso state) were isolated from patient sera, and their complete genomes were sequenced using a high-throughput sequencing platform. All of these isolates shared high nucleotide sequence similarity with CHIKV isolates from northeastern Brazil and were found to belong to the ECSA lineage. These CHIKV isolates did not contain the A226V or L210Q mutations that are associated with increased transmissibility by A. albopictus, suggesting that the CHIKV isolates circulating in midwestern Brazil are predominantly transmitted by A. aegypti.
CAPES, CNPq, FAP-DF.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
The project “Evolução molecular dos vírus Zika, Dengue e Chikungunya” received ethical approval (certificate number 56459616.5.0000.0029).
- 1.Chia PY, Ng MML, Chu JJH (2010) Chikungunya fever: a review of a re-emerging mosquito-borne infectious disease and the current status. In: Mendez-Vilas A (ed) Current research, technology and education topics in applied microbiology and microbial technology. Formatex Research Center, Badajoz, pp 597–606Google Scholar
- 5.Azevedo RSS, Oliveira CS, Vasconcelos PFC (2015) Chikungunya risk for Brazil. Rev Saúde Púbica 49:58Google Scholar
- 9.Nunes MRT, Faria NR, Vasconcelos JM, Golding N, Kraemer MUG, Oliveira LF, Azevedo RSS, Silva DEA, Silva EVP, Silva SP, Carvalho VL, Coelho GE, Cruz ACR, Rodrigues SG, Vianez JLSG Jr, Nunes BTD, Cardoso JF, Tesh RB, Hay SI, Pybus OG, Vasconcelos PFC (2015) Emergence and potential for spread of Chikungunya vírus in Brazil. BioMed Cent Med 13:102Google Scholar
- 10.Andrews S, Krueger F, Segonds-Pichon A, Biggins L, Krueguer C, Babraham WS (2018) Bioinformatics. https://www.bioinformatics.babraham.ac.uk/projects/fastqc/. Accessed 20 June 2018
- 11.SourceForge: BBMap. https://sourceforge.net/projects/bbmap/. Accessed 22 June 2018
- 14.Li H (2013) Aligning sequence reads, clone sequences and assembly contigs with BWA-MEM. arXiv:1303.3997v2 [q-bio.GN]