High prevalence of PCV2d in Hunan province, China: a retrospective analysis of samples collected from 2006 to 2016
Porcine circovirus 2 (PCV2) has been widely prevailing in China since the first report in 2001, causing huge economic losses to the pig industry. In the present study, 674 samples were collected from 2006 to 2016 in Hunan province, and 62% were positive for PCV2. An increase was observed from 2006 to 2011 (72.1%-89.1%), and a decrease was observed from 2012 to 2016 (78.9%-36.8%). The prevalence of genotype PCV2a, PCV2b, and PCV2d was 0, 44.7% and 67%, respectively. During 2006-2007, PCV2b was the main genotype circulating in Hunan, while, in 2008, PCV2d became the predominant one. Coinfection with PCV2b and PCV2d was observed frequently, and the positive rates of coinfection ranged from 6.3% to 18.9% during 2006-2016. The complete genome was sequenced for 54 positive samples, and four were identified as PCV2b-1, 22 as PCV2b-2, four as PCV2d-1 and 24 as PCV2d-2, based on phylogenetic analysis of the complete genome and ORF2 region. Recombination analysis using the complete genome sequences of these isolates revealed a high recombination rate of 27.7% (17/54), and showed that recombination occurred mainly in the ORF1 region. This shows that the prevalence of PCV2 has clearly decreased in recent years and that PCV2d has become a predominant genotype since 2008. In addition, frequent recombination events were observed in the PCV2 isolates from Hunan, China.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 2.Timmusk S, Wallgren P, Brunborg IM, Wikstrom FH, Allan G, Meehan B, McMenamy M, McNeilly F, Fuxler L, Belak K, Podersoo D, Saar T, Berg M, Fossum C (2008) Phylogenetic analysis of porcine circovirus type 2 (PCV2) pre- and post-epizootic postweaning multisystemic wasting syndrome (PMWS). Virus Genes 36(3):509–520CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Huang L, Wang Y, Wei Y, Chen D, Liu D, Du W, Xia D, Wu H, Feng L, Liu C (2016) Capsid proteins from PCV2a genotype confer greater protection against a PCV2b strain than those from PCV2b genotype in pigs: evidence for PCV2b strains becoming more predominant than PCV2a strains from 2000 to 2010s. Appl Microbiol Bio 100(13):5933–5943CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Yan Z (2009) Epidemiological study of Poreine Circovirus type2 infection and trituration, application of inactived vaccine in Anyang (in chinese)[Dissertation]. Henan Agricultral University, ZhengzhouGoogle Scholar
- 30.Meng S, Ya-hui LU, Qian DU, Le S, Yong H, De-wen T (2013) Molecular epidemiological investigation on porcine circovirus type 2 in Shaanxi Province during 2010-2012 (in chinese). J Northwest Agric For Univ (Nat Sci Ed) 41(10):19–26Google Scholar
- 31.Jing D, Chunrong Z, Sanjie C, Xintain W, Xiaobo H (2014) Molecular epidemiological investigation of porcine circovirus type 2 between 2010 and 2013 in some regions of Sichuan (in chinese). Chin J Vet Sci 12:1868–1876Google Scholar
- 32.Jun Z, Tongfeng Z, Pengjuan L, Jianbo H, Ziyi J (2016) Molecular epidemiology of porcine circovirus type 2 in diarrhea piglets in Sichuan region (in chinese). Chin J Prev Vet Med 38(7):546–549Google Scholar
- 33.Shaojian X (2013) Studies on Molecular Epidimiology of PCV2 and the interaction of JAK-STAT signal pathways with infection of PCV2 [Dissertation]. Shandong agricultural universityGoogle Scholar
- 34.Yuan WU, Hong-Bing Z, Xin-Yan W, Wei-Hua B, Hong-Jie F (2013) Molecular epidemiological investigation of porcine circovirus type 2 (PCV2) in Zhejiang Province and surrounding areas. J Agric Biotechnol 4:456–463Google Scholar
- 35.Meng G, Chunhu S, Chenxu X, Xing L, Lin Y, Yakun L, Kuhua J, Sujuan C, Daxin P, Xiufan L (2014) Molecular epidemiological surveillance of porcine circovirus type 2 in part of Jiangsu province (in chinese). Chin J Anim Health Insp 2:62–66Google Scholar
- 37.Luo W, Zhao D, Wang X, Jiang DL, Li RC, Yu XL (2013) Type differentiation of porcine circovirus from tissues of sick pigs and replication characteristics of different strains of PCV2. J Hum Agric Univ (Natural Sci) 6:626–630 (In Chinese) Google Scholar
- 38.Qian-qian Z, Bing-lin Z, Wei-huan F (2010) Analysis and comparison of genomic sequences of porcine circovirus type 2 isolates in Zhejiang Province between 2008 and 2009 (in chinese). Chin Vet Sci 6:565–571Google Scholar