The relationship between atmospheric blocking and precipitation changes in Turkey between 1977 and 2016
- 87 Downloads
The relationship between blocking events and mean precipitation frequency (MPF) was investigated in this work for Turkey during 1977–2016. The overall MPF for the examined stations during blocked days (nonblocked days) fluctuated between 0.15 and 0.43 (0.12 and 0.38). The ratio of MPF during the blocked days to nonblocked days ranges between 12 and 38%. During the winter season, the country has higher MPF values during blocked days. The greatest ratio of MPF values during blocked days to nonblocked days is observed in summer due to smaller values of MPF occurring during this season overall. Higher MPF occurs when the event center was located between 0o and 30o E (mean 0.27, range 0.17–0.51). There is no relationship between blocking duration and MPF for all seasons. There is a positive relationship between blocking intensity and MPF during summer (CC = 0.35, significant at the 95% level) and fall (CC = 0.43, significant at the 95% level). The relationship between blocking longitudinal extent and MPF is significant at the 95% confidence level during the summer and fall seasons with correlation coefficients of 0.29 and 0.25, respectively. A composite of the 10 blocking events associated with the largest MPF demonstrated that there is moist advection via westerly flow into Turkey in all seasons. During winter, a greater proportion of these events is observed during the La Niña phase of El Niño Southern Oscillation, but during El Niño in spring and summer. For the blocking case study (31 October to 5 November 2009) associated with the largest MPF, the mean value across the country was 0.73. The mean total precipitation during this period was 63.4 mm.
The authors would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their time and effort in making this work a stronger contribution.
We thank the Turkish Water Foundation for supporting Bahtiyar Efe. This work is funded by the Turkish Science Foundation (TUBITAK) with grant number 1059B141700588.
- Aalijahan M, Salahi B, Rahimi YG, Asl MF (2018) A new approach in temporal-spatial reconstruction and synoptic analysis of cold waves in the northwest of Iran. Theor Appl Climatol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-018-2601-7
- Gazete Vatan (2009) Yağış nedeniyle bazı seferler iptal!. (Turkish) http://www.gazetevatan.com/yagis-nedeniyle-bazi-seferler-iptal%2D%2D268162-yasam/. Accessed 21 Dec 2018
- Kalnay E, Kanamitsu M, Kistler R, Collins W, Deaven D, Gandin L, Iredell M, Saha S, White G, Woollen J, Zhu Y, Leetmaa A, Reynolds R, Chelliah M, Ebisuzaki W, Higgins W, Janowiak J, Mo KC, Ropelewski C, Wang J, Jenne R, Joseph D (1996) The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bull Am Meteorol Soc 77:437–471CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lupo AR, Smith PJ (1995) Climatological features of blocking anticyclones in the Northern Hemisphere. Tellus A 47(4):439–456. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0870.1995.t01-3-00004.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mokhov II, Timazhev AV, Lupo AR (2014) Changes in atmospheric blocking characteristics within Euro-Atlantic region and Northern Hemisphere as a whole in the 21st century from model simulations using RCP anthropogenic scenarios. Glob Planet Chang 122:265–270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloplacha.2014.09.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- NTV (2009) Precipitation, flood, cold!. (Turkish) https://www.ntv.com.tr/galeri/turkiye/etkili-yagis-sel-soguk, 4Kdy6v3fXkagcL9Iv9BlNg/Hc1gAa7_102QpS4ONJRTHw. Accessed 21 Dec 2018
- Rabinowitz JL, Lupo AR, Guinan PE (2018, 2018) Evaluating linkages between atmospheric blocking patterns and heavy rainfall events across the north-central Mississippi River valley for different ENSO phases. Adv Meteorol Article ID 1217830Google Scholar
- Takvim (2009) Urfa’nın etrafı sel!. (Turkish) https://www.takvim.com.tr/yasam/2009/10/31/urfanin_etrafi_sel. Accessed 21 Dec 2018
- Tayanç M, Karaca M, Dalfes HN (1998) March 1987 cyclone (blizzard) over the eastern Mediterranean and Balkan region associated with blocking. Mon Weather Rev 126(11):3036–3047. https://doi.org/10.1175/15200493(1998)126%3C3036:MCBOTE%3E2.0.CO;2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wickham H (2016) ggplot2: elegant graphics for data analysis. Springer, New York Retrieved http://ggplot2.org . Accessed 15 Dec 2018
- Wickham H, Francios R, Henry L, Müller K (2018) Dplyr: a grammar of data manipulation. Retrieved https://cran.r-project.org/package=dplyr. Accessed 15 Dec 2018
- Wiedenmann JM, Lupo AR, Mokhov II, Tikhonova EA (2002) The climatology of blocking anticyclones for the Northern and Southern Hemispheres: block intensity as a diagnostic. J Clim 15(23):3459–3473. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0442(2002)015<3459:TCOBAF>2.0.CO;2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar