Variability of Indian summer monsoon onset over Kerala during 1971–2018
- 38 Downloads
Inter-annual variability of the dates of Indian summer Monsoon Onset over Kerala (MOK) is examined for the period 1971 to 2018. The dates of MOK, deduced based on the present criteria of India Meteorological Department (IMD), are used in the analysis. The mean date of MOK is observed as 2 June, which is marginally delayed compared to the currently used long-term normal of IMD (1 June). However, the standard deviation (SD) of the present series is found to be less than that of the earlier IMD series. The study compares the statistical properties of the present MOK date series with that deduced in earlier studies based on different criteria. Further analysis indicates that on inter-annual scale, the present MOK date series exhibits a large variation with typical embedded variations during the study period. The study makes decadal analysis of the MOK date series. The results show significant decadal periodic variation and decrease in the range of variation decade after decade. Analysis of decadal moving averages of MOK date series indicates a striking change during recent decadal period through a shift in the time of occurrence of MOK, coming at on earlier date with reduction in the SD and range of variation. The observed changes are assessed in relation to the variation of zonal winds over Indian region for the month of May. The study presents the features of observed variations and brings out their utility in the prediction of the date of MOK.
The authors are thankful to the Director, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology for his encouragement and valuable support. Thanks are also due to India Meteorological Department for making availability of meteorological data. Authors also acknowledge for availability of for various Daily Global data sets to NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado, USA.
- Ananthakrishnan R, Acharya UR and Ramakrishnan AR (1967) On the criteria for declaring the onset of southwest monsoon over Kerala. IMD Forecasting Manual IV 181Google Scholar
- Ghanekar SP, Puranik PV, Bhide UV (2003) Forecasting the onset of monsoon over Kerala using the peak in pre-monsoon convective activity over south peninsular India. Mausam 54:645–652Google Scholar
- Ghanekar SP, Narkhedkar SG, Sikka DR (2016) Progress of Indian summer monsoon onset and convective episodes over indo-Pacific region observed during 2009-2014. Mausam 67(4):803–828Google Scholar
- India Meteorological Department (1943) Climatological Atlas for AirmenGoogle Scholar
- Sikka DR, Paul DK, Deshpande VR, Mujumdar VR, Puranik PV (1986) Sub-seasonal scale fluctuations of the ITCZ over Indopacific region during summer monsoon season—part I features of Indian region. Proc Indian Acad Sci (Earth Planet Sci) 95:47–73Google Scholar
- Tyagi A, Mazumdar AB, Khole A, Gaonkar SB, Devi S (2011) Re-determination of normal dates of onset of southwest monsoon over India. Mausam 62:321–328Google Scholar