Water supply risk analysis of Panjiakou reservoir in Luanhe River basin of China and drought impacts under environmental change
- 17 Downloads
This study investigates the impacts of drought on water supply risk of Panjiakou reservoir in Luanhe River basin of China under environmental change by using a copula-based streamflow series generation approach. To understand how nonstationarity of runoff sequence influences water supply risk, reservoir performance metrics including reliability (time-based and volume-based), resilience, vulnerability, drought risk index (DRI), and sustainability index (SUI) are evaluated with 1956–1979 and 1980–2016 inflows of Panjiakou reservoir, respectively. The results indicated that the prolonged and severe drought may seriously affect the safety of water supply. From two results of generated streamflow time series, the reliability reduction rate reached 58.3% (0.773 to 0.322) when water supply assurance rate was 75% and ecological water level was minimum. Perturbing the copula parameter will make it possible to increase the drought durations and deficits for Panjiakou reservoir to analyze drought impacts on water supply. Based on the reservoir performance metrics, the analysis for Panjiakou reservoir showed that the trend of drought in the future made water supply reliability (time-based and volume-based), resilience, and SUI decrease, but vulnerability and DRI increase, which means the water supply system security became more vulnerable in the future. These results make it easy for decision makers to understand how drought influences future planning and management of Panjiakou reservoir.
We are appreciative of Haihe River Basin Commission for providing so much runoff data.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51479130) and State Key Laboratory of Hydraulic Engineering Simulation and Safety Foundation (No. HESS1405).
- Cancelliere A, Nicolosi V, Rossi G (2009) Assessment of drought risk in water supply systems. Coping with drought risk in agriculture and water supply systems. Springer, NetherlandsGoogle Scholar
- Feng P (1998) Risk management of water resources during the drought period of water supply system. J Nat Resour 13(2):139–144Google Scholar
- IPCC (2013) In: Stocker TF, Qin D, Plattner G-K, Tignor M, Allen SK, Boschung J, Nauels A, Xia Y, Bex V, Midgley PM (eds) Climate change 2013: the physical science basis. Contribution of working group I to the fifth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Kundzewicz ZW, Kindler J (1995) Multiple criteria for evaluation of reliability aspects of water resource systems. IAHS Publ 231:217–224Google Scholar
- Matalas NC, Fiering MB (1977) Water-resource system planning, in climate, climate change and water supply. National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Mcmahon TA, Adeloye AJ (2005) Water resources yield. Water Resources Publication LLCGoogle Scholar
- Nazar AM, Albertson ML, Hall WA (1981) Risk avoidance objective in water resources. J Water Resour Plann Manag Div 107:201–209Google Scholar
- Ray PA, Vogel RM, Watkins DW, Palmer RN (2010) Robust optimization using a variety of performance indices. American Society of Civil Engineers 2010 World Water and Environmental Resources Congress. https://doi.org/10.1061/41114(371)478
- Salvadori G, Michele CD (2007) On the use of copulas in hydrology: theory and practice. J Hydrol Eng 12(4):369–380. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0699(2007)12:4(369) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sandoval-Solis S, Mckinney DC, Loucks P (2011) Sustainability index for water resources planning and management. J Water Resour Plan Manag 137(5):381-390Google Scholar
- Sandoval-Solis S, Mckinney DC, Loucks DP (2015) Sustainability index for water resources planning and management. J Water Resour Plan Manag 137(5):381–390. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000134 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shiau JT (2003) Water release policy effects on the shortage characteristics for the Shihmen reservoir system during droughts. Water Resour Manag 17(6):463–480. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:WARM.0000004958.93250.8a CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang W, Yang XH, Wang YT (2009) Ecological water requirements in the lower reaches of Luanhe Basin. Adv Water Sci 20(4):560–565Google Scholar
- Yen BC (1970) Risks in hydrologic design of engineering projects. J Hydraul Div 96(4):959–966Google Scholar
- Zhao L (2012) Analysis on rechecking water resources of Panjiakou reservoir. Tianjin: Tianjin UniversityGoogle Scholar