Genetic variations in the ADCK1 gene predict paliperidone palmitate efficacy in Han Chinese patients with schizophrenia
Genome-wide association study results have linked ADCK1 genetic variation with paliperidone efficacy in a European cohort. However, the generalizability of this locus to non-European populations is unknown. Han Chinese schizophrenia patients (n = 159) were treated with paliperidone palmitate and symptom severity was assessed over 3 months. Examination of 13 ADCK1 genetic variants revealed two single nucleotide polymorphisms (rs12590199, rs11159291) and one haplotype (rs2364747–rs12590199) associated with paliperidone palmitate response. Future work into ADCK1’s function and its potential interaction with paliperidone is warranted.
KeywordsSchizophrenia Paliperidone palmitate ADCK1 Pharmacogenetics
This research was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 81630031, 81571312), Capital Medical Development Research Fund (2016-1-4111), Beijing Municipal Science and Technology Project (Z171100000117016) and National Key Technology R&D Program (2015BAI13B01).
- Hough D, Lindenmayer JP, Gopal S, Melkote R, Lim P, Herben V, Yuen E, Eerdekens M (2009) Safety and tolerability of deltoid and gluteal injections of paliperidone palmitate in schizophrenia. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 33(6):1022–1031. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pnpbp.2009.05.014 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Marder SR, Kramer M, Ford L, Eerdekens E, Lim P, Eerdekens M, Lowy A (2007) Efficacy and safety of paliperidone extended-release tablets: results of a 6-week, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Biol Psychiatry 62(12):1363–1370. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsych.2007.01.017 pii].CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Meltzer HY, Bobo WV, Nuamah IF, Lane R, Hough D, Kramer M, Eerdekens M (2008) Efficacy and tolerability of oral paliperidone extended-release tablets in the treatment of acute schizophrenia: pooled data from three 6-week, placebo-controlled studies. J Clin Psychiatry 69(5):817–829CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mi W, Liu F, Liu Y, Du B, Xiao W, Li L, Huang L, Lu T, He J, Shi L, Yue W, Zhang H (2016) Association of ABCB1 gene polymorphisms with efficacy and adverse reaction to risperidone or paliperidone in han chinese schizophrenic patients. Neurosci Bull 32 (6):547–549. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12264-016-0050-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pouget JG, Shams TA, Tiwari AK, Muller DJ (2014) Pharmacogenetics and outcome with antipsychotic drugs. Dialogues Clin Neurosci 16(4):555–566Google Scholar
- Wang D, Fu DJ, Wu X, Shapiro A, Favis R, Savitz A, Chung H, Alphs L, Gopal S, Haas M, Cohen N, Li Q (2015) Large-scale candidate gene study to identify genetic risk factors predictive of paliperidone treatment response in patients with schizophrenia. Pharmacogenet Genom 25(4):173–185. https://doi.org/10.1097/FPC.0000000000000122 CrossRefGoogle Scholar